An Open Letter From A First Responder To The World

Violence is not the answer, love always wins.

57
MTEMS

I understand the black lives matter movement. I have never been racially profiled for being black, I cannot understand what it feels like to have been. However, I work in a predominately black neighborhood and on several occasions have been judged based on the color of my skin. The feeling I often get when I face these racial biases is that those who judge me feel as if I'm better than them because I am white. To me, when these judgments are made, I feel different, not equal to those who inhabit the community. Where I am leading with this, is there is a group of people that feel different right now, fighting for their equality which is why Black Lives Matter is in existence.

I'm not going to sit here and write that racism doesn't exist, because it does. It exists within first responders as well as civilians. Sadly it's a behavior that instead of getting better is becoming predominately worse. However, I wish that people on both sides would see that there are genuine people that are fighting for a peaceful world and they should not be judged or overpowered by violence and judgments of others whether a civilian or a first responder. I am a volunteer EMT. I work closely with cops weekly. I have seen the ugly, happy and downright sad.

I cannot personally say I currently face situations involving racism. I can say that given recent situations I have felt a personal increase of fear for myself, for my patients, for my fellow first responders and officers who we work with closely. The majority of first responders do what they do in order to help the community. It's difficult to protect people when we now fear for our own protection. However, day after day we continue to go out there knowing we're far away from a time where we used to be admired. The bond between first responders is almost indescribable to those who are not part of the inherited family. With each officer that dies, it is as if part of a first responder dies. It is my hope that the media starts advertising communities coming together finding solutions, instead of continuing to help the divide between what can be a beautiful world by showing the negative.

When fear is in a first responders heart, they can not do their job effectively which in return can endanger those who call. With respect, responders need to acknowledge that certain communities are seeing only the behaviors of those deemed unprofessional and have lost trust in those who are sworn to protect. The question is, how as a society do we re-develop a respect and trust between ourselves and the community?

There is no answer right now on how to make change. Everyone is talking about the negative no matter what stance you take, but no one is talking about how to fix it. As a first responder and an educator, I ask all of you to open your hearts and minds and compromise. Talk to your communities, begin to trust your first responders. Advocate for change instead of continued divide. Riots do not change equality and failing to acknowledge that racism does exist doesn't make anything go away. We're all making our judgments based on what we see in front of us, when we all need to imagine the possibilities of what we could see if we came together.

Be mindful that we all have families, a story and a life full of representation. Acts of violence do not represent solutions, just continued defeat within a world with individuals searching for their own victory. As a member of this world, I ask you all to pledge to take part in change. I pledge as an educator to teach children acceptance, to be the change instead of the hatred, that no matter their color or gender their world is limitless and no one can diminish that. I will advocate to further advance acceptance and self-worth and further dismiss judgments. As a first responder, I talk to those we serve and ask them where the divide started all over the world and how together we can fix it. What can you do? How can you help fix this?

Please note at the end of the day, first responders are going to put on our uniforms, we're going to come when the tones are dropped, be it a police officer, EMT or fireman. Please do not judge us based on those you have categorized as racist. Know that if you need us we will come. Whether you hate us or not, we will always come. Know that together we can change this. Violence isn't the answer, love always wins.