Why You Shouldn’t Take Health Advice From TikTok

No, the 10-minute workout done by the naturally skinny Instagram model will not give you abs in 2 weeks.

441
Unsplash

I must admit that I too have fallen under the illusion that I can transform my body in a week by doing the "20-minute butt and ab workout" that appears on my TikTok feed. Yes, these small workouts can be beneficial and there are certainly people on TikTok who give smart fitness and nutrition advice, however, there is also plenty of false and dangerous misinformation about health and fitness all over your TikTok feed.

There is nothing wrong with being naturally lean and skinny, but it pains me to see genetically blessed girls promoting "ab workouts" that are not responsible for their physical appearance. The problem with this false advertising is that it creates the mindset of "If I do this exact workout this is what I will look like." In reality, building abs and losing weight involves much more such as your diet and personal body type. Similarly, the "what I eat in a day challenge" can promote disordered eating tendencies such as eating under 1000 calories a day and intense diet restrictions. Everyone is built differently and eats differently so just because the fitness model is eating a certain way does not mean that you should too (for all we know they didn't add in that midnight snack they ate after the video.) Additionally, there are many other illusions created on TikTok such as using filters, lighting and angles, and wearing flattering outfits.

I still use workouts and recipes that I find on TikTok, but I try to be cautious of who I'm taking this advice from and what their qualifications are, such as nutritionists, athletes, or trainers. Remember TikTok is for making embarrassing dance videos with your friends, not a hub for reliable health advice.