Is It Time To Abolish The Wage System?

Is It Time To Abolish The Wage System?

The Obsolescence Of The Wage System In The Face Of Technological Abundance.
18

Technology is a rapidly increasing phenomenon that is capable of immense paradigm shifts. Steam power once revolutionized the world, and led to the first industrial revolution. Petroleum ignited another industrial revolution leading to the formation of an entire global system of fossil fuel based civilizations and nations. Space technology has opened up the heavens to humanity in ways never seen in history. An area that is becoming increasingly altered by technology is the area of economics. The potential for technology to automate labor will alter human life completely, having formed around the concept of life as work. The notion of ignoring this revolutionary tide in order to perpetuate the archaic idea of selling one's body for labor will become unavoidably recognizable as it was during the United States Civil War: something just as perverse, degrading, and anti-freedom/anti-liberty as chattel slavery.

The fruits of automation will usher in a era of abundance that is unseen in human history. Our ability to automate production will reduce human labor to a near zero range. This inevitably leads to the human species being freed from physical labor, offering higher degrees of education, living standards, and free time for passions and hobbies. The intellectual and creative potential to such a freedom from drudgery and monotony would usher in a renaissance on a global scale far exceeding previous renaissances.

Technological civilization is rapidly advancing as the months and years pass. The revolutionary prospects that could reconstruct human society in ways unseen since the adoption of agriculture 8000 years ago is rapidly approaching realization. Older generations have the accountability to free up social constructs to be adaptable to change; and the younger generations have a responsibility to usher in this new era wisely.