Is Having Divorced Parents A Normal Thing To Go Through And Experience?

Divorced parents...

101
Explosion.com

I used to think having divorced parents was a normal thing to have and experience…I thought that was the way life worked. I guess I was wrong.

Not only was I 9 months old and would think now that I didn’t remember anything..which I don’t but I do remember the feelings I had.

Not seeing one parent that much daily, or only seeing them every other weekend as was scheduled and planned legally.

The scheduling and different rooms I had to experience gave me anxiety. To go through that, not only for a baby, but for any kid is a terrible thing to experience over all.

Many of the 1.5 million children in the U.S who have parents that are divorced or separated every year… Feel as if their worlds are falling apart. Nothing would be the same, or even feel the same anymore. Since I have divorced parents I always was into the research and as I was researching about it one day I have discovered that the divorce rate in the United States is the highest in the world. 50 percent of marriages end in divorce.

As I got older I used to hear these phrases a lot "Am I picking you up at your mom's or dad's house?” "Oh my god, I'm so sorry your parents are divorced." "What is it like having two holidays?" "Which parent do you love more?” It was a really hard topic to talk about and explain to my friends. I couldn’t understand why it was so hard.

I was also always comparing myself to most of my friends at school because they had parents who were together and married for many many years. I would think to myself and ask “I wonder how that must be.”

Overall having divorced parents isn’t that great, but also its not too bad. I realized that I've learned to be realistic when it comes to love. Love is precious. I've learned what I want for my children and what I want out of a relationship and future marriage. I learned a valuable lesson watching my parents while I was growing up.