Is Fat A Feeling?

Is Fat A Feeling?

Why do we use that word when we are feeling something else?

65
Is Fat A Feeling?

Ask any doctor, psychiatrist, counselor or therapist working in the business of treating eating disorders whether they believe fat is a feeling and they will likely respond with an emphatic No.

However, in modern society, expressing or thinking the sentiment "I feel Fat" is generally accepted and common among people, both Eating Disordered and not.

The expression has no logical basis. Moreover, it is impractical to entertain the notion as valid in a therapeutic environment.

The rationale behind the theory is that those who are afflicted substitute the word "fat" as a cognitive catch-all for any negative emotion they may be experiencing.

I would argue, however, that it is possible to feel negativity toward one's body.

So if "fat" isn't the feeling, then what is?

Insecurity, Anxiety, Frustration, Discomfort, Depression, Anger, Helplessness

My current experience of feeling "fat" is a direct result of two things:

1. Recovering from Major Dental Work
  2. Being Unable to Run because of injury

I know that it is unrealistic to believe that in the week or so that I have been injured, my body has changed dramatically. I cannot possibly be "fat" even though I think I feel that way.

Therefore, I can only conclude that, because my sense of identity and daily routine is tied to running, my feelings are connected to that disruption.

So what am I feeling now?

Insecure

Worried

Frightened

Distressed

Uneven

Last week, there were several instances when I did feel felt Body Confident.

Knowing how I would need to remind myself of that feeling at a later date, when I was feeling "Fat", I made sure to take some pictures. I am terrible at selfies, so I apologize in advance for the quality.

What was I feeling when experiencing this Body Confidence?

Able

Gifted

Efficient

Accomplished

Fit

Talented

Silly

Lighthearted

Brilliant

Strong

Capable

Independent

So is "Fat" a feeling?

Of course not...

but it sure feels like it sometimes.

Do you ever feel "Fat'?

What emotions are you really experiencing when feeling that way?

What about when you feel "Body Confident"?

What implements help remind you of the days that you feel that way?