Is Body Shaming Equal?

Is Body Shaming Equal?

Do thinner size or plus size body types get shamed the most?

15
Is Body Shaming Equal?
www.becomingasuperhuman.com

So while doing my daily scrolling on Twitter, I came across a thread of a young women asking questions. I think the questions were very controversial and interesting. The question that caught my attention focused on body shaming. Specifically asking, “Do you think that fat shaming and skinny shaming are comparable? Not so much the shaming aspect of it, but how society treats the person.” To all those who do not know, body shaming is exactly what it says, “shaming someone for the their body type,” and also discriminating against body types different from yours. Body shaming is common because it’s so easy to do even though people may not realize it. Body shaming can be as easy as teasing someone for being “itty bitty” or not being “thick.” Obviously, these are such little things that we know happen around childhood stages. These are common shaming that travel through sixth grade classrooms. When it comes down to the shaming of the two body types, I do think that they are the same. Although they are comparable, I think that women with bigger body types get the short end of the stick. Most of the time on social media, people are talking badly about women of a larger size. Social norms oppose plus size women. It’s not “attractive” or “beautiful.” The whole world is set to think that being plus size or “fat” is wrong, bad, or unattractive. The emotional damage that things like this do to someone is demolishing. On the flip side, supermodels who are usually thin, are labeled beautiful, and are idols for most girls who strive to be or look like them. On social media, there are always comparison pictures posted, where guys are saying how they prefer the thin girl over the plus size girl. They insult the plus size girl’s appearance and glorify the thin body type. Not saying that thinner girls don’t get it bad because there are times when thinner woman are labeled anorexic or said to have eating disorders. However, plus size girls get it the worst. I do not think body shaming is right for anyone because it’s not. I do think that because of social norms, the shaming is not spread equally. So, what do you all think? Do you think the shaming is equal to all body types?