The Ironic Timing Of Hairspray Live

The Ironic Timing Of Hairspray Live

NBC's Unintentional Slap in the Face to the New President

26
The Ironic Timing Of Hairspray Live
arianatoday.net

December 7 on NBC Hairspray is coming to the big screen again with all new actors. The live production will broadcast at 8pm Eastern Time, and it couldn’t be any more ironic with the previous election. On November 8, we elected Donald Trump as our next president of the United States. In the wake of all of this, there have been many uprisings of protests, demonstrations, and marches. Now NBC is unintentionally providing a national slap in the face toward Mr. Trump on December 7th. Ironically enough, some of what citizens are fighting for are represented in this musical.

1. First, the representation of strong female leads, who are not cookie cutter blonde hair blue eyed babes. GENDER EQUALITY
  2. Civil rights are important.
  3. People are free to be what they want.

Tracy Turnblad, is an extremely strong female role in the production, as a matter a fact she is the main role of the whole musical. In Hairspray, Tracy is fighting to be on the Corny Collin’s show, which takes a lot of convincing, sneaking into productions, and a lot more. Proving to women everywhere that size doesn’t matter and yes, every woman can do everything they put their mind to.

The musical is based in the era of the Civil Right’s Movement. Throughout the show, there are demonstrations and examples of how everyone, no matter their race should be treated fairly. The musical gives examples of many peaceful protests and what we as a country went through to get to where we are today. In addition to this, Little Inez wins the new lead of the Corny Collin’s which is a double whammy for Trump, as she is a woman and not his favored white, blonde, blue eyed lady.

Anyone who has seen Hairspray on movie knows that John Travolta is Tracy Turnblad’s mom. This gives us an example of how people have the freedom to express themselves in any way. LGBTQ rights should be continued to be fought for. This musical supports that and shows we should see past everyone’s difference and just live our lives, support those who need support, and be humble.

If you get the chance, have fun and enjoy this live production on December 7th. It is a fantastic musical and a great family film. While watching it, you may have a chuckle at the ironic timing of the production and NBC’s unintentional stab at our new president elect (well at least it made me chuckle).