Iranian Parliament Burns American Flag After Trump Withdraws From Nuclear Agreement

Even our allies are mad at us.

834

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018, President Donald Trump announced that the United States would be withdrawing from the Iran Nuclear Deal. The nuclear deal was an agreement reached in 2015 between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, China, Germany, and the European Union.

The agreement stated Iran would redesign and reduce its nuclear facilities and accept the Additional Protocol (with provisional application) in order to lift all nuclear-related economic sanctions, freeing up tens of billions of dollars in oil revenue and frozen assets.

Along with withdrawing from the deal, President Trump announced that he will be re-instating U.S. nuclear sanctions on the Iranian Regime, crippling the Touchstone Agreement negotiated by President Obama.

From the White House Diplomatic Room, "We will be instituting the highest level of economic sanction. Any nation that helps Iran in its quest for nuclear weapons could also be strongly sanctioned by the United States," President Trump stated. "Today's action sends a critical message: the United States no longer makes empty threats. When I make promises, I keep them."

The Islamic Republic of Iran's parliament has now retaliated. Videos have surfaced of the Iranian parliament burning an image of the American flag and chanting, "death to America." Officials also burned a piece of paper representing the nuclear accord. They vow to increase spending on their missiles and weaponry now as well.

Iran's President, Hassan Rouhani, has ordered the nuclear industries to be prepared for restarting their "industrial uranium enrichment." Iran's foreign minister, Javad Zarif, said he would work with the pact's remaining partners to see whether they could ensure "full benefits" for Iran and tweeted that "outcome will determine our response."

Additionally, Allies of the U.S. and those involved with the agreement from 2015 are very upset with President Trump's decision. CNN wrote that this furthers President Trump's "isolation on a global scale." Our allies are beginning to doubt those in Washington and their ability to handle foreign policy.

Some of America's most loyal allies, such as Germany, the UK and France, have all made statements in disproval of President Trump's latest move in the middle east. Since Iran has been compliant with all stipulations of the agreement, they see this move as a "concern," and plan on "continuing their commitment" to the deal they had made (if Iran will still allow).

U.S. pres.'s shallow & ludicrous behavior wasn't unexpected. The same behavior existed in previous US presidents. Yet, Iranian nation is persistent while former U.S. presidents passed away & IRI is still standing. This man's corpse will also be worm food while IRI stands strong.— Khamenei.ir (@khamenei_ir)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan fears what the future holds for the middle east and that crisis will ensue because of the U.S. decision.

The Russian foreign ministry said, "The position promulgated by Washington represents a significant violation of the JCPOA." They described President Trump's decision as "new confirmation of Washington's incompetence."

According to CNN, Russians are also saying that President Trump's "claims regarding Iran's absolutely legitimate nuclear activities are just a cover for keeping political scores with the country."

The U.S. is now being seen as a violator of the agreement and an outlier of foreign policy.