Introverts Or Extroverts

Introverts Or Extroverts

Who are the better students?

58
Introverts Or Extroverts
Emma Holden

You know how they always say that there are two kinds of people in the world? Well, actually, I’d like to inform you that there, in fact, are: introverts and extroverts. I’m sure you know by now whether you are more introverted or extroverted, but did you know that this can affect your academic performance? This is, however, a complex argument. There seems to be sufficient evidence for both sides concerning whether extroverts or introverts will do better in school and, ultimately, become more successful in life.

Those who believe that extroverts are the better students say that, socially, extroverts are more well-adjusted. Extroverts are better able to grow used to being around new people for long periods of time when they first enter school, whereas introverts are more likely to be unable to easily make friends and to become omitted from most peer interactions (Feng, 2014). Generally, introverts are seen in a subtly more negative light in school (Feng, 2014) because of all the in-class participation and discussion-oriented classrooms one sees in schools today, which will hinder introverts’ growth academically (Cain & Klein, 2015). This is an ideal environment for extroverts to prosper in, though, as the majority of extroverts are motivated by, as Cain & Klein (2015) say, “external rewards… and positive social attention.” Additionally, it seems to be the case that introverts are more likely to have behavior problems than extroverts (Durea, 1993). This is because introverts tend to participate in passive-aggressive behavior that often goes unnoticed (Durea, 1993) and also, possibly, because there is a link between anxiety disorders (which are heightened in introverts in school because of the amount of people they must interact with on a given day) and behavioral disorders (Ana-Maria, 2011). Academically, it seems that extroverts have better short term memories and that they can speak much more fluently than introverts (Alavinia, 2012). Additionally, in a study done by Christensen (1938), more extroverts were employed or going to college post-high school.

However, there are those who believe that, rather, it is introverts who will prosper more in the school environment and go on to become successful individuals. Socially, it seems that because introverts are “sensitive” and “introspective” (Henjum, 1982) individuals, peers often ask introverts to come and play during recess or to participate in other group activities in the academic setting (Feng, 2014). In a study done on “ghost children” by Matteson (2014), those children who are often unnoticed in the classroom as a result of their introversion are, in fact, “academically capable,” “well-behaved” with a “positive attitude towards learning” and are even “well-liked by peers.” In the academic realm, it also seems that introverts had generally higher GPAs (Downey, 2014) and better long-term memories (Alavinia, 2012). Introverts also had better listening abilities and tended to speak (although not as fluently as extroverts) in a more formalized style (Alavinia, 2012). In a study done by Nussbaum (2002) on how extroverts and introverts work in group activities, it was discovered that introverts naturally seemed to want not to argue (as extroverts prefer) but to work together and listen to one another's suggestions and add to or combine them in a more collaborative manner.

So that’s about all, folks! I leave it up to your discretion to decide whether you think it is introverts or extroverts who will get that 4.0 or that coveted job.

References:

Alavinia, P., & Sameei, A. (2012). Potential bonds between extroversion/introversion and Iranian EFL learners' listening comprehension ability. English Language Teaching, 5(5), 19-30.

Ana-Maria, A., & Maria-Letitia, R. (2011). Anxiety aspects in pupils' behaviour. Proceedings Of The Scientific Conference AFASES, 295-300.

Cain, S., & Klein, E. (2015). Engaging the quiet kids. Independent School, 75(1), 64-71.

Christensen, A. M. (1938). Traits of college-going, employed, and unemployed high-school graduates. The School Review, 46(8), 597–601. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1081477

Downey, L. A., Lomas, J., Billings, C., Hansen, K., & Stough, C. (2014). Scholastic success: fluid intelligence, personality, and emotional intelligence. Canadian Journal Of School Psychology, 29(1), 40-53.

Durea, M. A.. (1939). Introversion-extroversion and problem tendencies in children. Educational Research Bulletin, 18(4), 103–116. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1473033

Feng, X., Harkness, S., Super, C. M., & Jia, R. (2014). Shyness and adaptation to school in a Chinese community. Infant And Child Development, 23(6-), 662-671

Henjum, A. (1982). Introversion: a misunderstood "individual difference" among students. Education, 103(1), 39-43.

Matteson, S. M. (2014). Ghost children: invisible middle level students. Middle Grades Research Journal, 9(2), 19+.

Nussbaum, E. M.. (2002). How introverts versus extroverts approach small-group argumentative discussions. The Elementary School Journal, 102(3), 183–197. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1002215