Life As An Introvert

Life As An Introvert

Living as an Introvert in an Extroverted world.

97
Life As An Introvert

Let's start by getting this out of the way, introverted doesn't mean shy. It's possible, even common, for introverts to be sociable. The difference between an introvert and extrovert is where one draws their energy from. Introverts need isolation and thinking time to recharge their batteries. While, extroverts need a social interaction to boost their mood. The level of shyness depends on the individual, not introvert or extrovert.

Also, the world is extroverted. Introverts are a minority of the world's population, making up only about one-third. So, being an introvert in an extroverted world can be a challenge. It's not quite normal to tell extroverts about your desire to evaporate from society and live the rest of your days like Henry David Thoreau.

And, introverts don't hate people! In fact, we quite enjoy them. It's unfair to label introverts as anti-social people who'd rather read a book than go to a party. Just like it's unfair to say all extroverts are party animals who need more attention than a newborn baby. The only thing is there's only so much people time we can handle.

Please don't ask us the "usual questions." If there's one thing we dislike more than prolonged social interactions, it's these questions:

Why are you so shy?

Are you okay?

Why do you never talk?

Do you hate people or something?

Are you the guy that never talks?

We can't really answer them, that's just how we are. And, those questions are probably asked when we're reflecting on previous social interactions. Then we have to reflect the questions just asked. Do you see now, why we need so much alone time?!

If we're making a weird face, don't worry, we're just having a good thinking secession. So extroverts, please don't bother us. What do you guys care if we're trying to answer the mysteries of the universe before 9 a.m. anyway?

So, what can you do to please the introvert in your life? Well, it's pretty simple.

1. Respect our alone time.

2. Don't embarrass us in a social environment.

3. Give us time to soak in a new situation.

4. Give us thinking time, don't expect an immediate answer.

5. Don't interrupt.

6. Let us know the plan for something.

7. Let us finish what we're doing.

8. Reproach us in private.

9. Teach us something in the comfort of privacy.

10. Let us stick close to you.

11. Don't push us to make large friend groups.

12. And, respect introversion. Don't try to make us extroverts, we're not. In fact, we're content with what we are.