A Q & A With My Boyfriend

A Q & A With My Boyfriend

Time to ask those questions I have always wondered about!

130
A Q & A With My Boyfriend
Isabella Bumbera

After three years, I had a few questions for my boyfriend, and I figured he might have a few for me too, so I decided to interview him. Here's how that went down:

My Questions for Him

1. What was your first impression of me?

"The very first time I ever acknowledged your presence, you were a middle school girl who recently cut her hair short. I thought it was a spunky move, but I also thought it was strange because I was also a middle schooler scared to step outside of the realm of normal. You came across to me as someone who was weird because you did things differently."

2. If you could have dinner with three fictional characters, who would you choose?

"Spider-Man, Tali Zorah (Mass Effect), and Morpheus (Matrix). Spider man would just be a funny guy to have dinner with, and talk about what it’s like to be super-human. Tali Zorah is a companion in a videogame that I love. Her race was driven from their home planet by a species of sentient machines that they created. She has a fun personality, and is extremely intelligent, so there would be a lot to talk about there. Morpheus is just a really philosophical guy who would most likely explain tons of trippy stuff about the world I never realized. As long as he doesn’t slip a red pill in my drink."

3. What place would you want to travel to together?

"I have never traveled outside the country before. I would love to see Japan or China for its drastically different culture. It would be fascinating and a great learning experience. However, to start with I would prefer to see a place where English is predominantly spoken, at least as a first time experience."

4. If I was an animal, what would I be? What would you be?

"You would be a small bulldog who is thin and small, who loves to cuddle and run around and be a lounge lizard. I would be a slightly bigger bulldog who is not as cute, but would play fetch with the owner far more often."

5. Are there any songs that you associate with me? If so, what are they?

"Any song that you have recommended to me makes me think of you. I literally hear the song and think, 'Oh, this is the song Bella told me about.' I wouldn’t have any of those songs if you had never mentioned them. Some of those songs are “Always in my Head” and “Magic” by Coldplay, “From a Window Seat” by Dawes, and “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson."

6. What is one talent you wish that you had?

"I wish I could write and compose music. I certainly would love to play every instrument like a master, music writing is one talent I don’t mention as much. I would love to put together things for the instruments my friends play that sound good, or even something to just compose for myself. That sounds nice and is suitable for my skill level."

7. If we traded places for a day, what’s the first thing you would do?

"Honestly, I’m not sure. I wouldn’t be able to go to your classes because I do not know Spanish. I wouldn’t talk to your friends because I don’t know them, and I don’t want to affect your relationships with those people. And I wouldn’t go to your home because I don’t know where anything is or how to respond to your family all the time."

His Questions for Me

1. Would you ever consider doing a joint project together? Something we would both collaborate to create or work towards? What might it be?

"Absolutely. I think that could be a lot of fun. Personally, I’d like to choreograph a dance with you or even do something that involves playing music together (I don’t know if my instrumental or vocal skills are that great, but it could still be cool). I also think that cos-playing together could be fun. If it involves being creative, I’m down for it."

2. Do you have any interest in practicing a sport together enough that we can beat all our friends as a team? What sport would that be?

"I like to think that I impressed you with my badminton skills. It’d be fun and it’s not super intense. (I mean we did go to some kickboxing sessions together but a kickboxing tournament is generally not something you casually decide to initiate with a group of friends)."

3. If you had to describe my general attitude to a friend, what would you say?

"You’re just an all-around friendly person. You take a genuine interest in what others have to say and are easy to talk to. You’re also not afraid to completely be yourself and make jokes and your honesty is incomparable. I also appreciate that you’re emotionally open with me, I can cry in front of you after a bad day and you’ll just wait out the bad feelings with me."

4. Is there anything about our day to day activities that you wish were different? Anything you would like to happen, but have neglected to ask about?

"Generally speaking, since we don’t go to the same school it’d be nice if I could physically hang out with you more regularly, but when I do get to see you I think we make up for lost time and we never run out of things to talk about. We’ve adapted to the distance, so while it’d be wonderful to see you every day, I think we communicate pretty well given the circumstances. We text every evening and have Skype calls once a week. I really wouldn’t change anything about that."

5. If you had to practice a video game over and over until you could play it really well, what game would it be?

"Oh goodness. My initial reaction is to say any of the Telltale games (Game of Thrones, Wolf Among Us, etc.), but those don’t require a lot of controller-coordination because the game tells you which buttons to push at the appropriate time. I guess I’d have to go with “Portal 2” because I really liked the puzzle format. There’s a lot of problem-solving involved, and it also requires a decent command of the controller. (And I just think the robots in that game are cool)."

6. Given a limited amount of time to hang out for a weekend, what are your top 3 must do things/favorite things to do.

1. "It has to involve food, either going out, making something, ordering out, and then watching Netflix while we eat, I enjoy our meal-time conversations."

2." Depending on where we are, I like when we go on walks together for an extended period of time."

3. "I really enjoy watching movies with you, specifically comedies because your reactions are so great and you just make me laugh harder. It’s a good atmosphere."

7. If you could completely change the way you grew up and redo your life over again, what kind of a person would you want to be at age 20?

"See, that would mean having to repeat middle school again and me repeating that stage of my life is not something that would benefit anyone. (I mean, I guess it would’ve been cool growing up with superpowers. but I’m assuming you mean differences in the realm of reality.) This is hard! There’s no part of my life that I absolutely regret, if anything maybe I’d maybe tell my younger self to chill out a bit, 7th grade algebra isn’t worth throwing up over, but then I wouldn’t be the person I am today, you know? And as for my anxieties, they force me to pretty seriously doubt myself at times (you’ve seen that), I just don’t like the idea of being someone else. Who I am now brought me to you, so I’d say that’s pretty cool."

(A special thank you to my boyfriend, Alex, for agreeing to help me with my article this week. You're the greatest, <3, Bella)