An Interview with In Her Own Words

An Interview with In Her Own Words

"This record is really going to kick us into gear, into where we need to be.”

58
An Interview with In Her Own Words

In Her Own Words is a pop-punk band based out of Los Angeles, California. Earlier this month, the band hit the road to play with Hawthorne Heights on their 10-year anniversary tour for the album “If Only You Were Lonely.” They have scheduled twenty-five shows together, including a night to play in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The other bands on the ticket for this show included End The Empire, Never I, and Hope Sets Sail.

Alt Edge Media, in partner with Odyssey, got the chance to chat with part of the quartet shortly before the show. We sat down with the vocalist, Joey Fleming, guitarist, Ian Berg, and bassist, Eric Ruelas.

Alt Edge Media: “You guys are on tour with Hawthorne Heights! How are you liking it so far?”

Ian: “Amazing! I listened to Hawthorne when I was in junior high. They were one of the bands that got me into the whole being on the road, being a bum thing. We’re having a great time with some of the best dudes we’ve ever met. It’s a lot of fun.”

Eric: “It’s been rad. The crowds have been older, which is cool. If someone had told me back in high school that I’d be touring with Hawthorne Heights, I would’ve just called them crazy, you know? But here I am.”

Joey: “It’s really great to hear songs I’ve been listening to for forever but now I get to hear them live every night. That’s just been a lot of fun.”

Alt Edge Media: “Have you stopped at any cool places while you’re on the road?”

Eric: “Cook Out. If there’s one thing we have to hit up when we’re in the Carolinas, it’s Cook Out. It tops everything else. Not that I’m trying to score Carolina points.”

Ian: “Before the Hawthorne Heights tour, on the way here, we drove through the mountains and it was kind of light raining and it was so beautiful. It was amazing to drive through the Rockies and see all of the rivers and valleys and such. That was a lot of fun.”

Eric: “We took the route that you’re not supposed to take as a band with a trailer and a van. It was very scenic and really beautiful.”

Alt Edge Media:“What are you listening to while you’re on the road?”

Joey: “Usually whoever drives is the one who picks the music. So, when I’m driving it’s a lot of The 1975. They’re my favorite band; if they’re not on it’s just stupid hip-hop like Drake and shit like that.”

Eric: “I’ve been stuck on Cymbals Eat Guitars and Cloud Nothings. I like listening to music that expands the mind. If it’s not that, I listen to your occasional classic rock bands. If I get bored, I’ll listen to Rush or something.”

Ian: “So you get bored every time you drive then, because we listen to the same song by Rush every time you’re driving. For me, I go through the same stuff I’ve been listening to since I was 12 but right now I just found out about Person L, which is the side project of Kenny from The Starting Line. That’s been on my playlist and it is fucking great. Giants At Large has also been all over my playlist!”

Joey: “For some reason, we always circle back to The Dangerous Summer by the end of the tour. It’s something we all agree on.

Alt Edge: “What can we look forward to from you guys after this tour?”

Joey: “After this tour, we’ll be a month into our album cycle for our first full-length record ever. It’s called ‘Unfamiliar’, it comes out on the 14th, and it’s something we’ve put our hearts and souls into. We’ll be touring a lot more, I think. This record is really going to kick us into gear, into where we need to be.”

Click here for the rest of the interview!

Check out the band's (amazing) new album here. It’s available for streaming or download on Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon. Keep up with what these guys are up to through their Tumblr, Facebook, and Twitter.