Interview: Lia Marie Johnson

Interview: Lia Marie Johnson

The YouTuber/actress/singer-songwriter isn't afraid to get honest with her new dark, beautiful music.

178
Interview: Lia Marie Johnson
Lia Marie Johnson DNA 2016

Singer-songwriter, actress, and YouTuber Lia Marie Johnson isn’t afraid to get real with her new music. Her hauntingly beautiful single, DNA, is out now and has recently been accompanied by a raw, emotional music video. Ducking out from under her internet presence, Johnson refreshingly bares all with her new sonic ventures. The songstress is inspired, confident, and undeniably groundbreaking in her element.

What projects have you been up to lately?

I just got back from Albuquerque. I was filming for a show I’m in called t@gged. A movie that I’m in called The Thinning just came out and it’s getting great reviews, so it’s all really exciting stuff.

I saw the trailer for The Thinning and I thought it was super neat that your song played in the background of the trailer.

Yeah we got DNA to be in the credits of the movie, which is so incredible. I’m really happy that more people can hear it and I really think it fits the vibe of the movie as well.

So, was there a specific thing or moment that made you make the leap and start piecing together a full album?

I’ve been wanting to work on original music for so long and I kind of got distracted with YouTube and acting and I was focusing more on that stuff. When I want to do something, I will give it 100%. So, one day I just said, “I really want to just work on music.” I told my agent and everyone was kind of like, “We’ll still do some projects and do you want to audition for something?” and I was like, “I’m just going to audition for things that I’m really in love with, but I really want to make this album my main focus.” So the past few years, I’ve been working on this album and it’s been coming along great. I’ve met so many musicians, producers, and writers and it has been a great experience. I just - I don’t know Amanda, I’m just so excited for people to hear it.

DNA is a really heavy song and it’s definitely a huge departure from “A Moment Like You.” Was there a different direction you’re hoping to take or the different vibe that you wanted to instill into this album?

DNA is so much darker than other stuff that I’ve done. The music that I’m making is very moody, dark, dreamy, and sexy. I think people will be excited to hear it. It’s different from anything else that I’ve done in my entire life, but it feels right. It feels like I’m right where I’m supposed to be. I’m making what I’m supposed to be making and I have no doubt in my mind that this is what I’m supposed to be doing.

How did it feel writing DNA and how does it feel right now to have DNA out and into the world.

It’s amazing. The response has been incredible. I honestly did not expect the response that I’m getting. People are telling me that I’m brave for putting it out. I never thought I would be courageous by putting it out, but it really makes me happy that people think that it’s brave. People are saying that they relate to it and they’re just telling me stories and people are telling me they’re crying as they listen to it. That makes me feel good. It makes me feel like I did something more than just write a song about my life - like I’m helping people. I’m making people feel things that are special to them and that makes it even more special to me.

If you could describe your new album in a nutshell, what would you say?

It’s nostalgic, sexy and just makes you feel good. That’s my favorite type of music, like stuff you can vibe-out to - not just straight-up pop music.

I think it’s really cool that you’re willing to be vulnerable in your music. I’m sure being an internet personality, actress, and singer makes it easy for people to be caught up with you on the surface and you as they see you on the internet. I think it’s cool that your fans are going to be able to see you in a different light.

I think people will see the side of me that is the real me. I haven’t been pretending, but I’ve hidden a lot of parts of me for my entire life. I’m excited for people to hear it in the music and see the music videos. I’m really honest when I write.

In your earlier years, what led you to music?

Ever since I was little, I’ve always loved Rock and Roll, but in high school I remember I was listening to Pandora and the Weeknd came on and I found Frank Ocean. I was like “Who is this person? Who are these guys? Where are they coming from?” Then, I heard Lana del Rey for the first time and all this great music was coming into my life. I found out about all of these different genres and it was stuff that was so different and out of the ordinary. I remember listening to Kendrick Lamar and I felt like I was in a different universe. It just felt good and that’s what I want to do with my music. I want to make people feel things.

Speaking of your music obsessions, who are you listening to right now?

I can’t get enough to Lana del Rey. I could listen to the Born To Die album for the rest of my life. If I was on an island and I could bring one CD, it would be the Born To Die Album. It’s so good.

If you could do a dream music collaboration, who would it be with?

That’s such a hard question because there’s so many, but I feel like it would be really cool to do a collab with Kendrick Lamar. I just love his music so much. I love the tone of his voice and what he raps about is so powerful.

He’s a legend. His live performances are incredible.

Yes! He’s a living legend.

What is one artist you listen to that is kind of unexpected?

I don’t think people know how much I listen to Rock and Roll. I’ve been listening to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Fleetwood Mac is in here, too. I love me some Fleetwood Mac I’ve been listening to Billie Holiday a lot. When I'm cleaning my room in the afternoon, I’ll just light a candle and listen to Billie Holiday. I’ll feel like, “Wow, I’m a princess right now. I’m like a jazz princess.” I love her.

Rock and Roll is so underrated these days. I feel like EDM has blanketed the entire music atmosphere.

Yeah, me and my friends were talking about that. The whole music industry has changed so much. We make music with technology now. Back then, people played live with instruments. It was so real and raw. People don’t do that anymore. A lot of times I try and incorporate real instruments in my music. I love guitars and violins and pianos in my songs. I don’t want it to be all electronic. The electronic music is still real music, but it’s just different. We’re evolving so fast into technology.

Was there anything that was really hard about making this album? Or were there any pleasant surprises?

I met so many amazing people along the way and made so many friends. It has all been so great. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to do this.

Do you have any plans, big dreams for your music stuff after the album comes out?

I’m hoping that after my album comes out, I’ll have the time to go back to school so that I can work for NASA. I want to make it work. I want to be the first part-time astronaut, part-time actress, part-time singer-songwriter. It’ll be good.

Check out the incredible music video for DNA.