I Spoke To A 2020 Senior From OU, And It Was Incredibly Emotional

To be honest, what we all went through something horrific but it brought some of us closer and made people realize how good it feels to just hug someone.

45
Sooner Vanhook

I wanted to interview a 2020 senior, and my best friend Sooner took the chance to do this with me. I've known her for a little over a year now and we are both Sociology majors, we were in the same sorority together and she has truly been a great influence in my life. Everyone knows that I was supposed to graduate this May, but instead, I will be graduating in December because of a little delay. But I am still so excited and supportive of Sooner and her journey to get her masters in social work at OU, in the same way that she is supportive of me in law school. Love you sister.

1. Where are you graduating from?

OU!

2. What has it been like spending your last semester under quarantine amidst of the coronavirus pandemic?

It was a time that was stressful but also eye-opening because I got to try new things. Also, I spent more time with my family. The classwork online was horrible because of so much I had to do to get it done.

3. Of all the things you missed out on because of quarantine, what has been the hardest to accept?

Not being able to graduate in person with my friends like we did in high school.

4. What has been a silver lining?

The silver lining is that I had time for myself. I wasn't trying to do everything all at once.

5. What have you done to make up for some of the graduation traditions you aren't able to do?

My family and I had a little party with cake. I dressed up in my cap and gown and we took pictures. We just spent the entire day together and had fun.

6. What are your next steps, and have they been impacted by coronavirus?

I'm going to get my masters in social work at OU in the fall. The coronavirus has made people aware that we might have to move online for part of the semester which will make it more difficult for me. I'm not a very good online learner and it seems more stressful with it being my masters.

7. What is the worst thing someone can say to a class of 2020 graduate?

What I have experienced is when people say it was just a graduation ceremony or you still got your degree. I think it is bad for people to downgrade a celebration because people have worked so hard to accomplish their goals and a bachelor's degree is no joke or we're just a simple thing to get.

8. What is one piece of advice you would love to give to the class of 2021?

Enjoy your college experience. Do not stress out over homework and exams because when your social life is taken from you, you still have time for homework or exams. Hang out with your friends and make some memories in college. Those memories will be the ones to hold onto more if you ever go through a pandemic hopefully not.

9. What about the last few months do you think you'll remember the most?

10. Of your time spent at OU, who has impacted you the most?

The person that has impacted me most would be my first-semester Spanish teacher Christie De Lara. Señora De Lara helped me through my hardest semester and she gave me the confidence in myself to achieve what I thought was impossible. She gave me a fighting attitude and made me realize that I can accomplish anything. Especially, Spanish at OU.