My Internship Experience

My Internship Experience

Getting the job was the hard part, who knew the actual work would be so fun.

8
My Internship Experience
Meaghan Darwish

Every college student understands the struggle of finding an internship, between sending in applications, waiting to hear and being called back for interviews the process is daunting and relatively unpleasant. I will admit that I had felt this way most of the summer as I had been applying left and right, only to hear back from one of the nearly 15 places I applied to. To essentially get a call back was thrilling, and I remember having a good feeling when I had read the description for the position.

Over four months later and I can honestly say I have had the most amazing experience. When you begin thinking of an internship, you think you will be stuck doing grunt work and completing the jobs no one else wants to do around the office, but I was pleasantly surprised that this was far from the truth. I was really nervous on my first day, I had had a positive vibe from my supervisor, but what if it quickly vanished when I began the job? All of these fears began to swirl around in my head, and thinking about some of my classmate's experiences put me on edge.

I went into the experience with an open mind as best as I could, and feel like I was rewarded with the one of the best experiences of my life. I won't share the name of the magazine that I work under, but within the first few hours of being there I was able to write posts for the website, and discuss pitches. I felt like I was living my dream of being a journalist, and I got class credit to do what I love. You aren't always lucky enough to have those gut feelings in life, but I had a gut feeling that I was supposed to be working there, and the way people treated me only increased that sense of belonging. I was never made to feel inferior or unimportant, I was constantly made to feel I was an equal and that made the experience that much more rewarding.

I was so ecstatic to have the chance to write and assist with any duties that were appointed to me. Every time I was asked how I was enjoying the experience I couldn't contain the fact that I got to walk into an office where I was literally living my dream. I feel at times that maybe this answer was not believed, but it is entirely the truth.

My entire college experience has been work towards reaching my goals, and after the work that I put in, I feel like I won the lottery when it comes to internships and am thrilled that I will get to return for my last semester as a senior. If the first semester was any indication, I have many exciting experiences ahead, and I am eager to live them.