Is Trump Finally Acting Like A President?

What does Donald Trump's tweet mean for International Women's day

21
ABC news

International Women’s Day was on Wednesday, March 8th, and is a day devoted to honoring the advancements of women and the contributions they have made to the world. Our president, Donald Trump, released a tweet in which he described how women should be treated on International Women’s day, and their importance. “On International Women’s Day, join me in honoring the critical role of women here in America & around the world.” Compared to President Trump’s previous, and long list of, tweets this one is not like the others. But, did President Trump even write this tweet? Does this mean he is now a supporter of women, and if so what does this mean for women under a Trump presidency?

Donald Trump has made many frightening, and demeaning comments about women. Before his infamous “Grab them by the pussy” statement, other alarming declarations from Donald include stating it is okay to call his daughter “a hot piece of ass” and himself calling her “voluptuous.” He has also regularly rated women on a one to ten scale and publically judged them on their physical appearances. During the Trump campaign, after multiple allegations of Mr. President sexually assaulting women were brought to light, he brushed many of them off asking if anyone thought he would ever touch those women, because of his opinions about their looks. This is also the same Donald Trump who sent out his tweet, discussing the importance of women, on International Women’s Day... or is it?

Donald Trump’s recent address to Congress, on February 28th, left many wondering what had happened to President Trump, and how it occurred. In his address to Congress, he appeared professional, put together, and even presidential. The public was left wondering if President Trump had finally turned over a new leaf, and was beginning to take his presidency, and the things he said, seriously. President Trump’s tweet on International Women’s Day would seem to strengthen this new Trump and his professional attitude. However, can this Donald Trump be counted on, or is this just an appearance pulling us Americans into a false illusion?

Americans need to understand that Trump reading from a script and typing out tweets does not make him professional or presidential. Trump releasing a statement in which he does not degrade women does not erase the horrific things he has previously said. This does not give women the safety and security they equally deserve, and it certainly does not erase the permission Trump has given to society to be openly sexist and racist. The effect that Trump has had on society, the idea that overt sexist and racist actions are permissible, cannot be erased if Trump wears a better fitting suit, and practices his speeches before. If we allow Donald Trump to become presidential by reading from a script, then we are allowing ourselves to be fooled. International Women’s Day does happen to be about honoring how important women are, but Donald Trump does not get to erase the vulgar, disturbing, frightening, and degrading comments he has made about women because of one decent sentence. Women, under Donald Trump’s presidency, need to continue to fight for the equality they deserve; especially when they are being shown that someone who has consistently degraded women can become President of the United States. Women do need to be recognized for their importance and International Women’s Day is more crucial than ever. But, women will not allow fake words to erase the true feelings and actions of our President.

Please, do not think that Donald Trump’s tweet actually calls for equality for women in his America. And please, do not believe the illusion of the presidential costume Trump’s cabinet has forced him into.