15 Thoughts Every International Student Has While Packing

15
http://robinscherbatski.tumblr.com

I know all freshmen have a difficult time moving out, but trust me, nothing compares to the struggle to try and fit your entire life in a suitcase and pray you are taking enough pairs of socks with you.

I hope that by the time this article is posted, I can look back at it and laugh freely in my brand new dorm room. As of now, I'm just going to share a few thoughts that went through my mind (repeatedly) during the past week.

1. Where did summer go?

It feels like it was just yesterday when I was laughing at my high school friends because I had all those extra vacations. I can vividly remember thinking I was the luckiest person on Earth, move-in day was such a distant concept. Then, suddenly, it's only a week away.

2. Boxes, all the boxes.

The time where my bedroom was not entirely covered in boxes seems like such a distant memory. I don't know about you, but now I definitely feel a very strong connection to Andy in "Toy Story 3."

3. Airlines are evil, and must not be trusted.

What do you mean I'm only allowed to take 23 kg. of my life with me?

4. What am I supposed to take with me?

I mean, I know I have to take my clothes, obviously, but what about all those other things? And those checklists online are not helping. Ain't nobody got enough room to fit decorative pillows in an international flight.

5. How can I fit all of my clothes, my pet, my high school friends and my favorite food in my suitcase?

Answer: I can't.

6. When did I get so many clothes?

I literally never have anything to wear, so where do all of these come from?

7. Why do shoes take up so much space?

You know what? Forget it. I don't need those shoes, anyway.

8. I'm so done with this.

I'm just going to take random pieces of clothing and wing it. I'm a feminist. I don't need a bra anyway.

9. "So, how are you going to decorate your dorm?"

I can barely fit all of my socks in my suitcase, so there is no way I'm fitting a cute aesthetic tapestry, a mini-fridge and a coffeemaker in there, too.

10. What do you mean I can't take all of my books with me?

11. I'm going to have to do this again when the year ends, am I not?

Not to mention I'm going to buy more clothes, books and all of those cute dorm decorations. Maybe I'll just leave them behind and have someone else deal with them.

12. You sit on it, and I'll zip it!

No matter how many tutorials I'd seen on YouTube and Pinterest, there is just no way to make everything fit in a suitcase. Plus, every time I managed to zip my suitcase closed, I prayed I wouldn't turn around to realize I had forgotten something (again).

13. Showing off your good work to your family.

14. "Well, did you weigh it, though?"

That feeling of relief when I saw it is right under the weight limit: priceless.

15. Is it really over?

Yes, it is, and I did well. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat some real Mexican food, because goodness knows I'm going to miss it. I deserve this.