I Asked 12 International Millennials Why They're Also Studying Abroad In The UK

So what do you really think of the UK?

338
Facebook

Hello and welcome to Interviews with Internationals!

Today we will be interviewing 12 other international students at Loughborough University and these 12 awesome individuals come from all over the world: from North America to Australia to other countries from Europe and even to Asia. They also study a plethora of subjects of which I will not bother to bore you with because what we all really want to know is:

What do they really think of the UK?

So let's dive right in, shall we?

Brooke McQuade. 22. Perth, Australia.

Why did you choose to study abroad in the UK?

To get out of my comfort zone, experience living overseas, and to see how my degree (Sports Science) would be taught in a different country.

What has been your favorite part about the UK so far?

Everybody I’ve met along the way! And the English people are incredibly friendly and helpful, too. I’ve also loved the affordability and options of the trips you can do outside of Loughborough.

And least favorite?

Weather for sure! I get a new cold each week. . .damn you English weather!

What is one difference between the UK and where you live?

Okay, so get this. . .they drive on the left-hand side of the road (which is the correct side might I add), BUT they stand on the right side of the escalator. . .what?! How does that make any sense?

Pascual Camacho. 21. Juarez, Mexico.

I have wanted to come to England since 2012.

Meeting people from all over the world.

And least favorite?

The weather, of course.

Over here, everything is so close, but not back home. You have to drive everywhere back home.

Hoi Ching Catherine Yeung. 18. Hong Kong.

Because I just wanted to see you!

Just kidding!

I think the UK is a really cool place to study in. It's vintage and historical.

Alcohol.

Least favorite?

The stores close way too early.

The whole atmoshpere. Hong Kong is a very intense and busy city, I must say, and the UK is really relaxing and green. And usually the shops here will close at 5 PM while for Hong Kong, most shops close at 9 or 10 PM. I think their lifestyle is pretty good and that's exactly what life should be! Life should be happy and remarkable, and living in Hong Kong sometimes makes me feel a bit breathless.

Alison Lloyd. 19. Colorado, USA

I chose to study in the UK because there were two girls from Loughborough studying at my university the year before and one of my professors got his Master's from Loughborough. Also, I am studying Sport Management and Loughborough University is one of the best sporting universities, so obviously!

Meeting other international students (shout out to Daniel from Australia who thinks Coloradans are the best Americans because he is obviously right). Also, traveling around the UK!

Least favorite?

ADAM JAMES GLOVER

*VERY OFFENDED BUT LET'S MOVE ON

Drinking age.

Daniel Broadbridge. 20. Brisbane, Australia.

To study Sport Science at the best Sport Science school in the world.

The fell running.

Least favorite?

The people. They're not that friendly.

Definitely the weather! It’s always cold, wet, and miserable here, rather than sunny and warm back in Brissie.

Eve Roussineau. 24. Paris, France.

Language improvement and to discover another culture.

What has been your favorite part of the UK so far?

Other exchange students, of course!

*BLUSHES

Least favorite?

FOOOOOOOOOOD! And living with English people, they like to scream when they come home from the club.

FOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Jasmine Kwan. 20. Vancouver, Canada.

Because it's super easy to travel around! Traveling past half of England takes the same amount of time for me to travel to the closest mountain back at home.

Meeting the people, getting to learn the history, and seeing relics in England that are older than Canada!

Least favorite?

It's pretty rainy. And snowy. And windy. The weather is all over the place, so you need to pack for pretty much all four seasons at once.

The landscape is very much more farmland and rolling hills, whereas I live in a place where we've got large forests, beaches, and mountains.

Sophia Amprosi. 19. Innsbruck, Austria.

Because I have always wanted to study in the UK and Loughborough was the only possibility to go.

Edinburgh.

Least favorite?

Leicester.

The people are a lot more openminded.

Leonie Emanuelsson. 21. Gothenburg, Sweden

I wanted to take advantage of the UK while it was still in the EU.

The people.

Least favorite?

The weather!

The UK is more expensive.

Barbara Humann. 24. Mödling, Austria.

I wanted to get the experience of living abroad and I decided to go to the UK to improve my English.

I've already met so many new lovely, funny people that are making my stay unforgettable for sure.

Least favorite?

I cannot drink the tap water because of all the chlorine in it.

Some stores are open in the UK on Sundays.

Prayan Prasad. 22. Sydney, Australia.

I wanted to experience a completely different part of the world.

Meeting a variety of people from different parts of the world, but also traveling to new places. And the parties, of course.

Least favorite?

Assimilating to the colder weather and the cost of train tickets.

Snow!

Clémence Hamon. 21. Saint-Brieuc, France.

To improve my English.

The parties and pubs.

Least favorite?

The food.

They often eat snacks here whereas in France a complete meal is really important.

So, there you have it! Their truths on the United Kingdom. We have learned that internationals (myself included) do not like how bipolar the weather is here. And the food (at least in the dining halls) could manage to improve by lots!

You've heard the opinions of 12 international students from all over the world. If you liked this interview, tune in next time for more Interviews with Internationals!

Thank you and have a good whatever-time-of-day-it-is-where-you-are!

From Your Site Articles