3 Little Inspiring Things To Learn From Disney's 'Pocahontas'

As cheesy as it sounds, we need to listen with our hearts.

159
disney.com

Disney movies are one of the things many of us cherish from our childhood. When I rewatch these movies again as an "adult", I start to notice the deeper meanings behind things.

One in particular, that really inspires me is Pocahontas. There are quite a few interesting points made about life in the movie, and I think as we progress through our lives, we could apply some of the wise words from character's like Grandmother Willow to our real lives.

Follow Your Own Path/Dream

(Not What Anyone Else Wants)

Pocahontas' father wants her to marry Kocoum. A man that will build her "sturdy walls" and keep her in a safe, easy life.

But as Grandmother Willow says, "Sometimes the right path is not always the easiest one." And Pocahontas knows this, for she still has a dream. She doesn't want to settle for anything less just because others want her to, and neither should we.

If you have a dream, chase it. Even if no one else agrees with you. If it feels right to you, then go towards it, even if you don't know what it is, which brings me to my next point...

"Listen With Your Heart...

... you will understand". - Grandmother Willow

When Pocahontas seeks out Grandmother Willow on advice on her dream, she says that she does not understand it. She dreams of a "spinning arrow" but has no idea what that could possibly mean.

Often in our own lives, we find ourselves lost and confused about want and what we should do. If you are a "dreamer" like me, then you probably find yourself daydreaming about places and things that you don't know how you will ever get there, or ever understand why you dream of it so much.

When we come upon these confusing times of life, is when we need to stop analyzing so much and just go with what we feel. Even if it sounds absurd, impossible, or just plain doesn't make any sense.

I mean, it's obvious that the organ that sits in the middle of your chest doesn't speak. Listening with your heart doesn't mean trying to figure out the morse code of your heartbeat, it just means that you have to push past the over-analyzing and worrying part of your brain, and find your intuition.

You may sometimes think that you don't know what you want, or you don't understand something, but deep down, you really do.

Listen for that, and only that. And believe in it.

Believe In Whatever Is "Just Around The River Bend"

How boring of a film would it have been if Pocahontas decided to give up on her dreams, and settle for a steady life with a husband?

"To be safe we lose our chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend"

When Pocahontas was following her dreams, she was filled with uncertainty. She had no idea what she was going for, or what the outcome was going to be, but she went for it anyway.

In real life, we are constantly facing uncertainty. We also have to constantly make decisions in order to move forward, and it's hard to make a decision when you're uncertain of the outcome.

Sometimes we let our dreams and goals be stalled due to the fact that we have no idea what's around the corner. It could be something terrifying, but it also could be the best experience of your life.

If you give in and take the easy route, your never going to know "what if". And being aware of the fact that you might have missed out on the best decision of your life could haunt you forever.

So go on, chase your dreams, use your heart to guide you, and always take a chance. If it worked out well for Pocahontas, it will work well for you too. There will always be a few bumps on the way, but never let that stop you.