Every once in awhile, it's nice to be reassured by some random person somewhere that everything is going to be okay, and most importantly, that you're not alone in the way that you feel.

8 Quotes To Live Your Life By, When You're Without Direction

Reminders, reminders, reminders.

305
Lauren Trimble

I've always been a "quote" person. I can scroll through Pinterest for hours looking for the perfect quote to describe my mood or situation. Every once in awhile, it's nice to be reassured by some random person somewhere that everything is going to be OK, and most importantly, that you're not alone in the way that you feel.

These eight quotes are perfect for those days when you need some direction.

"You need to know what to do when the sun is not shining." - Robert Downey Jr.

Life isn't perfect. It's messy and complicated, and sometimes the sun isn't going to shine on us. You and I can't change that fact no matter how hard we try to. What we can change is how we react to life when the sun isn't shining on us that day. On those days where the exact opposite of what you need to happen is happening. All of us need to practice self-care, and to show up for ourselves. It's not selfish; it's necessary. Especially on the days when giving up sounds a whole lot better.

"Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone's soul heal." - Rumi

The world needs more people to be there for each other. Not everyone needs to receive the same amount/type of attention, so this quote is one of my favorites. How you help people isn't what matters, it's that you show up for them. I think that relationships and human connections are one of the main reasons that we're here. I want people to remember that I was the one that would show up for anyone, and that's what I think this quote is trying to say.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

It's so easy to put on a mask around people who you see every day. In a world full of technology and social media, it's hard not to act like we're all put together all of the time. That's what you and I want people to think. I think people appreciate "realness" because there's not many who are anymore. What others see you as may not be who you really are, but it's good to keep in mind that that's still how they're going to see you. An act is an act. Just that. Try to take down some of those walls.

"I began to realize how it important it was to be an enthusiast in life. If you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it full speed. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good." - Roald Dahl

Going into things with all of myself has always been how I approach situations. It opens you up to both great failure and great success. Feeling the failure is just as important as the success. If you go into things in life half-heartedly, then you won't reap the rewards that you want so badly either. Above all, do what makes you feel happy. Approach your career and relationships with passion. Just maybe, others will follow your lead.

"I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." - Alice in Wonderland

Change is scary. All of us can agree on that one. But, I think that if you ask anyone if they were the same person a year ago today, all of the answers would be the same; no. We are meant to grow, change, and evolve. Not just in our bodies, but in our mind. People come and go throughout all of our lives, and teach us lessons that make us a different person than we were before. I'm sure that everyone has heard someone say, "If I had only known then, what I know now." That's the beauty of life though. We change.

"Just do the next right thing, one thing at a time. That'll take you all the way home." - Glennon Doyle

Just do the next right thing. This is obviously easier said than done. But, it's still good to keep in mind. The best you can do is to do that "next right thing." The right thing isn't always going to be the easiest option, but it's going to get you to where you need to be. Do what is going to make it easiest for you to sleep at night, and repeat.

"There will be moments in life when showing up for yourself will mean leaving behind the people who don't." - Alex Elle

I think all of us have to make choices quite often to either show up for ourselves, or to do what is going to make someone else the happiest. As a people-pleaser I've always faced this battle of showing up for myself, instead. It's not an easy thing to do when you spend so much time trying to make everyone around you feel alright. While I wouldn't trade this quality of myself for anything, I also have come to realize that showing up for yourself is not selfish at all. It's necessary. And those that love you, support you in doing this. Always.

"We can choose to be perfect and admired, or to be real and loved." - Glennon Doyle

Of course I had to end with this Glennon Doyle quote. Being real is not easy. And, to be perfectly honest, no one can be real all the time. I feel like it's in human nature to try and put on a masquerade of the "perfect life." Whatever that is. I would rather be loved than admired. And I hope that you would, too.