Inside the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics World Games

Unity and determination that inspires.

31

I recently had the privilege of attending the Special Olympics World Games opening ceremony at the Coliseum in Los Angeles. This was truly the experience of a lifetime as it demonstrated, so beautifully, the way that nations have the ability to come together to promote a common cause. There were 165 countries present at the ceremony and thousands of athletes. There were special guests; some of which include late-night television host Jimmy Kimmel, musical legend Stevie Wonder, Olympian Michael Phelps, and First Lady Michelle Obama.

Never before have I seen such joy and sportsmanship than I did in these athletes. The participants in the Special Olympic games range in age from 9 to 77 years old, and each athlete suffers from a mental disability. The theme for this year’s Special Olympics is “Reach Out," which is quite appropriate for the games. Each and every one of the athletes is “reaching out” – out of their comfort zones, out for the stars. These athletes demonstrate the reality that with a little hard work and determination, dreams do come true. Nothing is impossible or unattainable if you truly want to make it happen.

Later in the evening, Michelle Obama made a statement in her speech that captured perfectly the attitude each one of us should have toward the athletes competing in the Special Olympics. She said to the participants, “All those people [the fans] won’t just be cheering for you, they’ll be learning from you, they will be inspired by you." Those competing are demonstrating athletic skill while simultaneously overcoming restrictive disabilities. It is incredible what these people can do, and we should be inspired by their passion, their determination, and their joy. In the midst of their hardship, they have been able to portray proper athleticism: a mixture of athletic skill and good sportsmanship, even if you don’t win the gold medal. This is seen also in the motto and pledge of the Special Olympics, which was recited in unison at the ceremony: “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." We ought to look to them as an example of grace and sportsmanship, and model our own athleticism after them.

The games also demonstrated the theme of unity. Our First Lady spoke of these games as an example of the way that our world has the ability to be unified. There are few things that demonstrate unity better than 165 nations coming together to achieve a common goal. Never have I seen such remarkable sportsmanship among people, or such joy and equality. No matter what nation the athletes were from, they all hugged and high-fived each other. It was truly beautiful. I was able to participate in the demonstration of unity among the nations. When the event was over, I made my way to the exit where the athletes were leaving. As athletes from different nations came by, I had the privilege of high-fiving them and wishing them luck in their future endeavors. The experience was more than rewarding; it was humbling.

If you’d like to attend any of the Special Olympic events, they are free to the public and are at several different venues across Southern California. Just click on this link to find a venue near you. If you’d like to learn more about the Special Olympics, including its special programs and volunteer opportunities, go to www.la2015.org.