Green ingredients to add to smoothies
Food Drink

4 Green Ingredients You Need To Add To Your Morning Smoothie

I swear you won't be able to taste the healthy stuff!

123
Rawpixel

Green smoothies have been all the rage for a while now, and I start every morning with one myself. Having a smoothie in the morning is a great way to energize for the day and get your daily dose of vegetables so you don't have to eat them later. These superfood ingredients will give you plenty of vitamins and minerals, and they'll get all the toxins out of your system, too.

1. Leafy greens

Having a smoothie based on a leafy green such as kale or spinach is a great way to get your digestive tract going in the morning (TMI, but it's true). Both kale and spinach are high in fiber and water, which will cleanse your gut. Kale is especially great for you because it provides tons of Vitamins (C, K, A, B6) and a bit of protein, too. These leafy greens add the vitamins, calcium, and iron that you probably wouldn't otherwise be getting in your diet. Adding them to a smoothie takes away the pressure of getting leafy greens in during the day, and it's much easier than making a salad. Plus, once you add the other ingredients in the smoothie, you can't even taste the greens! Adding about a handful of greens into your smoothie in the morning can make you feel refreshed, energized, and ready to start the day.

2. Cucumber

Harshal S. Hirve

Cucumber is a totally underrated smoothie ingredient that not many people think of adding. This vegetable (or fruit, whatever you want to call it) is mostly water, making it super refreshing. It's great for your skin, nails, gut, muscles — everything! It will flush out the toxins in your system while delivering Vitamins A, C, and D, and also fights inflammation. Cucumber is the superfood that you need to add to your smoothie for healthy skin, digestion, and a boost of energy. You can use some of the cucumber as an eye mask, too! It'll take care of those dark circles in no time.

3. Celery

MabelAmber

Celery is another vegetable that's underrated in the smoothie realm. Celery is packed with vitamins and minerals, much like kale. It contains vitamins A, C, and K, and is mostly water, which will make the smoothie more hydrating. Adding about 2-3 stalks of celery to the smoothie will help reduce high blood pressure and aid in digestion, too.

4. Avocado

Nur Agni Setiyaningrum

Everyone loves avocados. Avocado toast, avocado in a sandwich, avocado in a salad, avocado on pizza — the possibilities are endless! So why not put it in a smoothie? Avocado is loaded with healthy fats, potassium, and vitamins. I like adding half an avocado to my smoothie, then saving the rest for avocado toast later. It'll make your smoothies creamier, too!

To mask the flavors of all the greens in the smoothie, I like adding chocolate protein powder, almond butter, and cinnamon. I swear you won't be able to taste the healthy stuff! If you want more of a tropical-tasting smoothie, you can add a few pineapples, green apples, and/or mango to sweeten it up. Avoid adding refined sugars to smoothies, because they can cause health issues in the future, aren't good for you, and there's really no need for them at all. The fruits you add will mask the greens well enough!