9 Indie/Folk Artists and Their Best Songs

Who doesn't love new music?

64
https://www.pexels.com/photo/acoustic-blur-bowed-stringed-instrument-close-up-374698/

Sometimes, when the rain is pouring and we're looking for a mellow mood, we turn to music. What better music to listen to on a rainy day than some Indie/Folk music? When most people hear the words 'folk music', they tend to visualize it as tribal ritual music. Trust me, that isn't quite it. In fact, Indie/Folk music is carefully working its way up into the popular side of society with movies like Five Feet Apart (2019) and Booksmart (2019). So, for the love of all things music, here are 15 amazing indie/folk artists and a song recommendation for each.

1. SYML

Brian Fennell AKA SYML

https://adagio.news/syml/

Okay, so maybe this article is starting off a little bit bias since SYML has been one of my favorite artists for a very long time. The creator behind the magic, Brian Fennell, was teamed up with the band known as Barcelona before venturing on his own. His music has a way of speaking to your soul, a new song every mood of the day.

Song recommendation: Where's My Love

2. Iron and Wine

Sam Beam AKA Iron and Wine

NPR

You may already recognize some of Sam Beam's music if you were a fan of the movie series Twilight. His song 'Flightless Bird, American Mouth' was featured as Edward Cullen and Bella Swan's wedding song.

Song Recommendation: Boy With a Coin OR Flightless Bird, American Mouth

3. The Civil Wars

Joy Williams and John Paul White AKA The Civil Wars

NPR

When I say that I'm obsessed with this musical duo, I truly mean obsessed. These two talented geniuses have created masterpiece after masterpiece. Although they ended their duet career back in 2014, Joy Williams and John Paul White have left behind music that will stay with us for a very long time.

Song Recommendation: Dust to Dust

4. Amber Run

Amber Run

ontheaside

Have you ever discovered a band whose music you could listen to for weeks and weeks on repeat? No? Well, now you have. From Nottingham, UK this insanely talented group is made up of Joshua "Joe" Keogh, Tom Sperring, Felix Archer, and Henry Wyeth.

Song Recommendation: I Found

5. Fink

Fin Greenall AKA Fink

BBC

Fin Greenall, known professionally as Fink, has an ear for music like nobody else. Once you click play, you find yourself falling down the rabbit hole of listening to his tunes on repeat.

Song Recommendation: Looking Too Closely

6. The Antlers

The Antlers

dailycal

With their album 'Hospice' dubbed as one of the saddest albums ever, The Antlers' music has a way of calming and speaking to your soul in such a beautiful way. The band took a brief hiatus from 2015-2019 after Peter Silberman, Michael Lerner, and Darby Cicci started up their career in 2006. Thankfully, they're back and better than ever.

Song Recommendation: Kettering

7. Lewis Capaldi

Lewis Capaldi

BBC

Some of you may already know him as the distant cousin to the Scottish actor - Peter Capaldi. Or, some of you may know Lewis from his big break that came from his song 'Someone You Loved', which the heartbreaking music video for also featured Peter Capaldi. Ever since then, Lewis has blessed us with his incredible taste in music and the pipes of an angel.

Song Recommendation: Forever OR Someone You Loved

8. Novo Amor

Ali John Meredith-Lacey AKA Novo Amor

Atwood Magazine

Ali John Meredith-Lacey, better known as Novo Amor, is a Welsh multi-instrumentalist who has the voice of a literal angel. His song titled 'Anchor' became extremely popular amongst Indie/Folk music fans, as well as other genres after it was featured in the movie Five Feet Apart (2019)

Song Recommendation: Anchor

9. Bon Iver

Justin Vernon AKA Bon Iver

NME

I think at this point, it's pretty safe to say that Bon Iver qualifies somewhat as a household name. His music has been featured on shows like House M.D., One Tree Hill, and many more. Justin Vernon, the singer/songwriter has become known for just how soft and mellow his music truly is. You might know him from one of his most famous songs, titled 'Skinny Love'

Song Recommendation: Perth OR Re:Stacks