Incoming Freshmen, You Have One Month Left Of Summer

And this one month is extremely important.

9
Amber McCarty

To incoming freshmen,

Summer is almost at a close, and soon enough, you’ll be packing up your car to head off to the next chapter of your life. But as you’re eager to walk out the door, remember this is your last month of summer...which means you shouldn’t take it for granted.

This last month will be full of shopping trips, paperwork, boxes, and driving. You’ll be hunting the store aisles for the cutest dorm decor and scavenging for the best food to take with you. It’s an exciting time to get prepared for this next chapter. But preparing doesn’t only mean checking things off on your list and making sure every box is labeled. It also means treasuring the time you have left at home. It’s important to not spend all your time worrying about packing and such. Although it is important, you need to remember that your family and friends are important too. And they’re going to miss you. That’s why it’s vital to take every moment in these last days to spend time with them. Go adventure and find new places, go on vacation with your family, have a bonfire with all your friends, make those lasting memories. In a short time, you will have to say goodbye and you will regret this last month if you don’t spend time with them. Soon enough, phone calls will have to suffice so take a little extra time to have face-to-face conversations, enjoy a long hug, and reminisce in a smile or laugh.

In this last month, however, it is also important to prepare YOU. You’re about to move off on your own and start a crazy chapter of your life that will be full of bumps and bruises, but also great blessings. You will never be able to prepare yourself fully for this great change to come, but it’s good to take some time to yourself to understand where you’re going. Try to reach out to new people through your school Facebook account. Having a few familiar faces going in will help to make the process easier. Realize that you won’t be living in your own bedroom anymore. Soon enough you will have a roommate who will either become your best friend or just someone you live with. Make sure you know what both of your standards and preferences are before going into school. Set ground rules so you’re able to respect one another when you move in together. Prepare yourself for goodbyes. They will be hard, I promise. You will cry either when your parents drive away or weeks later when the excitement of college settles down. Set up a time each week to call or video chat your family to make your transition into college a bit easier. Lastly, set goals for your first year of college. If you go into your first year not knowing what you want, you may come out disappointed. In the last week or so before you leave, sit down and write a list of things you want to do in every aspect of college: academics, social life, extracurricular activities, jobs, and more. Having this list will give you a tangible plan to succeed in your first year.

Take a deep breathe and relax. You’re going to love the transition into college and all the excitement that comes with it. It’s a crazy roller coaster ride where you learn more about yourself than you ever have before. You’ll grow up a bit, learn a lot, and experience a ton. It’s a great chapter that is ready to get written. But make sure to slow down and enjoy this last month first. It’s an important month to set the foundation for the rest of your life. Soon enough this month will be gone. And you will be gone too…off to college.