In Response To Independents Against Greek Life

The letters aren't the full story.

13
Erin Shortall

Oftentimes, sororities and fraternities are the illustration and representation of “college.” You may have friends or relatives that automatically ask you upon realizing you’re in college, “So, are you joining a sorority/fraternity?” Maybe you can’t relate to anything I just said, but sororities and fraternities may still be extremely prominent on your college campus. Maybe you’re involved in Greek life. Maybe you’re not involved, but you’re fine with the idea of it. Maybe you’re not involved, but you hate the idea of Greek life. Regardless of your position, this article is not meant to insult anyone specifically, but it is meant to relate to several perspectives, yet reveal the truth behind Greek life from the perspective of a “sorority girl.”

I came to college not knowing anything about what a sorority or fraternity is, besides the stereotypical views from movies that contributed to my socialization. However, my college handles Greek life a lot differently than public affiliated universities. Over the course of history, my college has created its own Greek groups, has a semester-long rush process, and first focuses on truly getting to know the people. However, don’t get me wrong—I think we’re all aware that there is a lot of partying and risky business that occurs in the Greek groups of public universities, and that is often a primary focus. This isn’t an insult, just a truthful observation. My point is that Greek groups are more than just this.

I’ve heard many naysayers who don’t know much about Greek life completely judge girls and guys based solely on their letters, yet these people don’t care to learn more and gain a more accurate view. They assume that these girls and guys only rush and pledge a Greek group to feel accepted instead of caring about their academics. Even worse -- they say that we’re just “buying friends.” I cannot deny that there are some people that fit within these assumptions. However, I have come to the conclusion that Greek life is above these assumptions.

As a freshman, all I heard was gossips and rumors about particular sororities, and of course we all listened to these rumors because we knew nothing about Greek life. I wasn’t sure if I could even see myself in a sorority, and if I did join one, I definitely had no idea which direction to follow. Once the rush process began, and we sat through countless presentations by all the different Greek groups to try and narrow our decisions down, I realized that I still didn’t know much, but I wanted to learn more and just rush for the experience. I began narrowing my decisions down and getting to know girls, many of whom I still know today. Through giving it a shot, I learned that the rumors and gossip I had heard upon arrival to college were false. There were even groups that I judged hardcore, even saying “I would never join them.” Little did I know, after getting to know the girls anyway, I realized that they were some of the most down-to-earth, loving, and honest girls I had met in the process. So while I came in unaware, gave it a shot, and was still slightly close-minded, I realized that I needed to ease up, open my mind, and learn for myself. And it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

I ended up joining a group that I never expected to join. Other members of Greek life join the exact group that they thought they would join. Some chose not to join. This is all fine, as everyone has a different path of life that they should follow. Others are highly against Greek life without having experienced it themselves. They saw the actions and effects of pledge, pegging it as a bunch of “zombie” girls or guys walking around, following the orders of their brothers or sisters just to wear the letters after a certain length of time. Greek life is more than just letters.

After joining a sorority my freshman year, I faced numerous traumatic events that were highly unexpected and extremely difficult to face at times. My new sisters had my back without hesitation, constantly checking up on me, giving me countless amounts of encouraging notes, chocolate, and more help than I ever thought I could receive. Without them, I would’ve been an absolute mess and maybe wouldn’t have made it. Instead, I was extremely blessed by my sisters and wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s not about the letters; it’s about the girls that wear the letters. It’s about the constant backbone that you have, as well as the many opportunities that come with it, such as the many positions you can hold in the Greek groups and the philanthropy as well. Greek groups do a lot for the school and community, and they constantly love and support each other along the way. This is what I had in mind when I endured pledge -- not “acceptance.”

It is true that some members of Greek life may neglect their independent friends and focus on the wrong things. This is inevitable anywhere you go. However, many girls and guys have numerous friends outside of Greek life and still are loyal to them. I personally don’t hold a label to myself. Instead, I still love all of my friends, regardless of whether they wear letters or not. And people are still free to make their own decisions. While there are rules you have to follow, there are also old traditions, funny jokes, and amazing history that you get to experience and even wear on your body.

People don’t join for the letters. People join Greek life for the people within the groups that wear the letters. Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I’ve made in college, and I’m sure my Tri-Zeta sisters would say the same thing in a heartbeat. The letters are never the full story.