Why It's Important To Take Time For Yourself

"Me" time can be important for your mental and overall health

936
Author

No one ever says that being a college student is easy. Between classes, sports, tests, and deadlines it is easy to forget about yourself when you're running around trying to complete all your tasks for the week. Stress can build up pretty quickly and cause a negative impact on your health. While it is good to be productive, it is not good to pull multiple all nighters trying to do work, making every moment in your day about getting the next task over with.

It is okay to take a break from work every once in a while.If you let yourself get too stressed, it actually may lead to decreased productivity, making all the work you're trying to complete even harder. Being stressed out may also cause you to become socially withdrawn, over whelmed, anxious, and fatigued. Long term, it can weaken your immune system, making you more susceptible to getting sick, something that you do not want to happen, especially when you have an important test or paper coming up.

Don't forget about yourself throughout the day when you are getting work done. Take time to relax, whether it is by watching Netflix, doing yoga, going to the gym, or even reading a book.

Thinking about all you have yet to accomplish can make one freak out, at least from my experience. What I have found is that it is easier to make a check list of everything you have to do that day. Start with the little things that will take the least amount of time and bang them out. Then, you have time to focus on the bigger tasks. Focus on them one at a time, without getting ahead. Don't think too much of what you have yet to do, and instead focus on what you are currently doing so you can get that done and go on to the next.

Taking "me" time throughout your day is important to ones well being and happiness. Taking time for yourself, by yourself, allows your mind to recharge, improves concentration, and makes you more productive. Although it doesn't always have to be by yourself. Watching Netflix with a friend, or even spending time chatting still counts. It all depends on what you want to do in that moment. Set aside time in your day to do what you want to do, then return to all your work.