The Importance Of Knowing Current Events

I'm not saying become a senator, just check the news time and again.
120

Being in college, school becomes your everything.

Life is a constant game of balancing your classes, social life, clubs, and Greek life (if you are a part of it). There's a constant feeling that there is something you have to do; no time to spare unless it involves your school life. I'm the same way. I always feel stressed, like I have no time for anything, but I only had classes three times a week... Calm down, Sophia.

Life outside of campus has its way of being irrelevant at times, not always. It's our own little bubble, far away from reality. Our main purpose of being there is to do well in school. We check our school email religiously, go to our classes (most of the time), and cram for that test tomorrow like our life depends on it.

It's routine, becomes our life, with little deviation from this path, but I think sometimes we forget what happens outside our bubble. What is happening in the world around us, whats happening in our hometowns.

Growing up in the suburbs around Washington D.C. I may have a biased opinion on this. The president would drive by our towns accompanied by his brigade, the people surrounding me at Thanksgiving were government officials, and an extensive history lesson was always just a short car or metro ride away.

But with such turmoil going on around us, I think it is a good practice to know the daily news. With such controversial issues going on in the world like mass shootings, and citizenship, it is important to have a basic understanding on current events.

The only way to learn from our mistakes is to learn from them, but if the people are not educated on the mistakes being made, how can we learn?

I am guilty of it too. In no way do I know enough about what is going on, but I do my best to read the daily headlines, browse a few articles, just to have a general understanding. Soon it will be our job market, our tax laws, our problem, so why not know what's going on so it's not a slap in the face a few years from now?