The Importance of Filing Your Legal Name Change in California Correctly
News

There are many reasons why someone might want to change their name legally.

16

The most common reason is for people who get married and take on the last name of their spouse. There are also uncommon reasons, like changing it for protection. Whatever the reason, it's always important to make sure that the name change is done correctly.

There are several steps to take when you want to change your name. Not only are there legal steps, but there are administrative and personal steps that must be followed as well. If not, you will only be causing further complications for yourself. Here is a quick guide to the importance of filing your legal name change in California correctly.

Court Petition

Yes, if you are changing your name for any reason other than marriage, you will need to go to court. However, it's nothing to be scared of. You won't be grilled on the stand or anything like that. You just need to make sure that you bring the appropriate California name change documents. These must prove your residency in California, and also provide proof of your current name. Proper documentation can include your passport, social security card, driver's license, or birth certificate.

Once at the court, you will need to file a petition to change your name. It's a simple process, but it does involve filling out a detailed form that will then be filed with the court's clerk. Make sure that you double and triple-check every bit of information you submit. Any mistakes will lead to delays and other issues. This is especially important for your potential new name. Make sure that it is spelled correctly. The court will not assume that you meant to spell it one way or the other. They will go with what is on the page. Do not sign the form until you are in front of a witness and a notary. Only then can the form be submitted.

Court Hearing

A court hearing can then be scheduled for you. You must attend your hearing. You will not be able to change your name without going through the process. The presiding magistrate or a judge will discuss with you the reasons that you have for changing your name. While it's not necessarily a guarantee that the judge will sign off on your new name, the fact is that in California you can change your name for any reason you choose. Afterward, the judge will accept your petition and sign an order. You will then be provided with that order so that you can give it to the places that need it to change your name with them.

If You Are Changing Due to Marriage

If your name change is because you have gotten married, then there is an additional step you need to take before going to the court. Make sure to submit your marriage certificate to the social security administration so that they have your new correct name. They will process that information and make the change, and then send you the documentation to confirm it. This documentation can then be submitted with your court petition. This is not a step that you need to take for any reason other than marriage.

Submitting Your New Name

While you can change your name for any reason, you can't change it to anything you want. For the most part you are free to choose a new name as you wish, but there are some exceptions. If you are not sure of your choice being accepted, then do not go forward with your petition. Otherwise it will be rejected and you will have to start over and think of a new name. For example, your name must not be something that could be construed as a slur of some kind or offensive. You also can't change your name to one that would deceive others, such as the name of a celebrity or another powerful person.

There are limits to the reasons for changing your name as well. You are not able to change your name if you are looking to hide from the authorities or escape paying your debts. Nor can you change your name with the intention of committing a crime. Of course, if you apply and state those as your reasons, then you may have some trouble with the judge that presides over your hearing.

For the most part, changing your name is not an overly difficult process. However, if you make a mistake or try to change your name to something inappropriate, it will cause issues for you. Make sure that you not only follow the proper procedure, but that you also check everything, including the spelling of your new name. By being thorough and patient, you will eventually have your new name and be able to move on with your life.