The Best IMDb Top 250 Films You Never Saw

Films ranging from all over the world and through time, here are the best of the unnoticed

72
IMDb

It's been a while since I've written anything, which is due to myself being an active participant in the independent film scene in NYC; my first passion in life. With this lapse, I've been thinking pretty steadily of what films people typically don't see, even if they consider themselves "film buffs." And what good way to initiate this conversation than with the user generated IMDb Top 250 Movies. These are films that, according to netizens, are the best of the best, but there's a chance you haven't seen a lot of these. The obligatory The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Goodfellas, Star Wars etcetera are on there, but there are some genuine gems that are here that you may or may not have seen that you should definitely take the time to watch. Here is my list of the best IMDb Top 250 Films you never saw:

1) A Seperation (2011) Dir. Asghar Farhadi

Synopsis: A married couple are faced with a difficult decision - to improve the life of their child by moving to another country or to stay in Iran and look after a deteriorating parent who has Alzheimer's disease.

It's a stunning look at the rise of women and decline of male privilege in Iran, which we have always known it to be really harsh against women's rights. But it's also uncanningly familiar and relatable to our human motivations and gets down to the core of it. The actors are phenomenal, bringing performances that are in no way exaggerated but simple and raw, giving this film a very realistic edge. It rightfully won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film (Iran) and is probably a great introduction into modern foreign cinema.

2) Ikiru (1952) Dir. Akira Kurosawa

Synopsis: A bureaucrat tries to find a meaning in his life after he discovers he has terminal cancer.

Kurosawa made this film right after his international success with Rashamon, arguably his most popular film, so its kind of easy to blow this one by. It's also not a samurai film, which is also why many a film buff have probably never actively pursued this film. But having seen a lot of his films (with a few of his earlier films and some post Ran films I still have yet to see), I can say without a shadow of a doubt this is one of his best films. Like how Nora Inu used something abstract as a main villain, this film too uses something incredibly meaningful to Japanese society (stomach cancer, because Japanese used to hold the stomach in high regard and they have very high rates of it). Ikiru, which means To Live, gives life to an old man who has been just getting by for his whole life, and at the end, begins to live it. It's also the best performance Kurosawa has ever gotten out of an actor (hate on me all you want with Mifune in Seven Samurai, High and Low, or Red Beard, but this is the quintesential Kurosawa performance out of Takashi Shimura).3) Twelve Monkeys (1995) Dir. Terry Gilliam

Synopsis: In a future world devastated by disease, a convict is sent back in time to gather information about the man-made virus that wiped out most of the human population on the planet.

Talk about a very interesting, Gilliam-esque science fiction thriller. Gilliam is known for Monty Python & The Holy Grail and Brazil, which are two amazing motion pictures, but Twelve Monkeys really gets lost in the scuffle of it all. This is a movie that is a little too complicated to explain thoroughly, but Bruce Willis is fantastic as the lead and a young, not so famous Brad Pitt steals the show with this fantastic turn as a lunatic activist who could very well be a lunatic terrorist. This is not a film to listen to in the background: it requires you utmost and full attention. But once you give into it, you'll find that it's insanely thrilling and deeply satisfying film. And, for those unfamiliar with Brazil, this is a great gateway to Gilliam's style, so watch that afterwards.4) Barry Lyndon (1975) Dir. Stanley Kubrick

Synopsis: An Irish rogue wins the heart of a rich widow and assumes her dead husband's aristocratic position in 18th-century England.

Right before The Shinning, Kubrick made this incredibly slow burning period piece that was a complete and utter triumph of his perfectionist nature. This is the film that Kubrick had special lenses designed specifically for the movie that was designed for NASA because Kurbrick and his cinematographer lit the scenes with only candlelight, something that was never done before in the history of cinema. But there's a great reason for it: the set ups of his frames, actor position and lighting mimic that of baroque style paintings. It's certainly his most beautiful and well designed film he has ever made, and for anyone who adores Kubrick as a filmmaker should not hesitate to see this film. It's long (over 3 hours) but it's worth a visit at least once

5) The Battle of Algiers (1966) Dir. Gillo Pontecorvo

Synopsis: In the 1950s, fear and violence escalate as the people of Algiers fight for independence from the French government.

When this film came out, people legitimately thought this was a documentary and that everything that happened in frame really happened. This was not the case, and the style of The Battle of Algiers has been mimiced and copied ever since. Like The Hurt Locker, Children of Men, or any film that uses shaky cam as a technique? This is the film that started it all. It's a thrilling and often horrifying film depicting the war between France and Algiers, but cleverly told from both sides.

6) In The Mood For Love (2000) Dir. Wong Kar-Wai

Synopsis: Two neighbors, a woman and a man, form a strong bond after both suspect extramarital activities of their spouses. However, they agree to keep their bond platonic so as not to commit similar wrongs.

Quentin Tarantino prides himself in "discovering" Wong Kar-Wai and bringing him to the forefront of art house cinema in '94, but his masterpiece is In The Mood For Love. The film is first and foremost beautiful and framed so carefully that it actually effects your psyche without you actually knowing. More of a mood piece drenched in melancholy than love, you grow to really love and admire the main characters through their journey as friends and their commitment to keep their relationship "in the friend zone." This is such an unconventional romance/drama, and one that'll sweep you off your feet.

And to round out my list, I'm including the films you should watch after you see the films listed above. The reason they don't get mentioned above with a picture and little critique is because if you've enjoyed the films I've mentioned, I shouldn't have to make a little argument for them; you'll enjoy them on your own. Click on the titles for the IMDb page for information as well as where to see them:

Unforgiven

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Ran

Rebecca

Touch of Evil

Prisoners

Did I mention your favorite films? Are there any I might have missed? Did you get to watch these films and really enjoy them? Sound off below!