Imagine A World Without Music

Music is endless. Even the word itself can produce billions of different responses from everyone in the world. To some, it’s a senseless void, an uninteresting speck of life. To others, it is their life, their career, their passion. And yet, to some, it’s something they’ve never experienced before because theirs ears don’t have the capability to do so.

There are probably a ton of songs being produced today. Not even a ton. Probably hundreds, thousands, millions. There are a lot of songs that will be produced and sent out of the world for people to listen to. There are also a lot of songs that will never be heard by anyone but the maker.

Music will always be constant. It’s always been here on Earth since anyone can remember, and it will probably still have the impact it has until the end of time. It has so much influence on people, and I can’t really see what life would be without it. As far as I know, I have yet to meet someone who does not enjoy music to some degree, or anyone who doesn’t listen to it at all.

Why would you not listen to music?

It’s a spectacular phenomenon and so original at the same time. Sure, there are covers and impostors who try to take rhythm and lyrics away from songs, but music is always different. Everyone’s voice is different, and the number of mixes and noises you can make with instruments is insurmountable.

It’s no wonder why many people talk about music being their biggest supporter, inspiration and reason to do things. I don’t see any reason as to why anyone could hate it.

Music moves people. There’s this sort of ethereal quality of it. A loud, banging scream song can make someone cry if they connect it to a certain experience, and a soft, slow-moving instrumental can make someone thrash in anger too.

Simply, music is beautiful.

Can you even imagine a world without it? That world would probably be gray and sad. It would also be as quiet as the highest floor of my college’s library (let me tell you, when you sneeze up there, it sounds like an atomic bomb going off), but that’s not that relevant here.

Next time, strike up a conversation with someone and ask, “What do you think the world would be like without music?”

“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!” — J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"