I'm Not Perfect ... And That's OK

I'm Not Perfect ... And That's OK

Imperfection is beautiful.

458
I'm Not Perfect ... And That's OK
www.pinterest.com

Do this. Have that. Look this way. Hang out with those people. Never mess up. No room for mistakes.

Be perfect.

To me, these sound more like the guidelines for a robot, not a human being. But, unfortunately, these are the unspoken yet steadfast rules we are told to live by every day. It’s a lot of pressure, isn’t it? To be this picture perfect, unrealistic version of ourselves? It’s not who we really are … so why do we follow?

We want to fit in. It’s a human thing. We like it when we are accepted and people like us, and when we feel at odds with others, we get uncomfortable. So, we sacrifice our own true happiness for an artificial form of it, one which will never really satisfy us.

It may be hard, but the only way we will ever become what we are meant to be is by breaking the rules. Now, I’m not saying you should go rob a bank or break into a random house (please, do not do that). What I am saying is that we need to get away from society’s rules of perfection. We need to do what is right for us, not always what we are told to do. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” In the truest way, we need to be ourselves.

What does this entail? It may mean sleepless nights – thinking, who am I, really? Stress – what if they don’t like me? Anger – why can’t I be good enough?

But, imperfection is beautiful. Openly showing your flaws to the world, and not being afraid, is more dignified than hiding behind a “perfection” mask will ever be. This mask only holds us back and makes it hard for us to enjoy life. While taking off the mask may be painful, as it’s like taking away your shield and exposing yourself, the rewards are endless.

So, if you endure, imperfection also means self-confidence. Pride in who you are. True friendships that will last a lifetime. Freedom from society’s guidelines. Happiness, or the closest we can possibly get to it.

I promise, people will embrace the real you, if only you show that person to them. You never know who else is hiding behind a mask, just waiting for someone to help them break free. You could not only be the reason for your own happiness, but someone else’s, too.

So, I will wear what I want. I will hang out with my real friends, people who embrace my imperfection. I will chase my dreams. I will live my own life. And even though I will mess up all the time, that’s fine, because I know I am a human being.

“I am who I am. No excuses.”

I love who I am. And you should love yourself, too.