I'll Be Home For Summer: Returning Home From College

College is all fun and good, but nothing beats coming home and spending time with your family. Leaving home is bittersweet.

29
C.C. Hunter Books

Attending college was a dream I strived for since elementary school. I was that little overachiever that argued minor mistakes with my teachers claiming, "I'll never get into college with these scores." Reflecting, I obviously know that wasn't the case, but back then it was a big deal. When I was accepted to my first choice college and move in day arrived, I was beyond ecstatic. I was so excited in the moment, it was hard to miss my family. I had been home for eighteen years, and while I love them all dearly, embarking on a new adventure in my life was all I could focus on.

Of course, I talked to them all via text, calling, and FaceTime, but nothing beat coming home. My homesickness only grew when I decided to stay at college and work my first summer as a college student. Family is a huge part of my life and being very absent while my siblings were quickly growing up, and my parents were making major changes in their lives, being away weighed heavily on my heart. So when the opportunity to go home for my second summer, I was quick to accept.

A very emotional return was expected, but I was sneaky enough to plan to surprise my sister on her birthday in May after not seeing her since Christmas (you can peep the video below). Nothing had prepared me for all the emotions I felt when I arrive home. I was relieved after the four-hour ride, I was so happy to see my family, I was sad that my sister was crying, and I was some crazy mix of unidentified feelings when I saw how much everyone had changed. I couldn't have imagined a more perfect moment.

The summer was unlike any other. I didn't go on any crazy adventures that my parents would have minor heart attacks over, I didn't come home with any more tattoos or piercings, I didn't jump off any cliffs. I worked as much as I could, visited every member of my family at least once, spent as much time surrounded by my family as possible. But as the end of the summer nears and I realize I only have four days with my family before I go away until Thanksgiving, my heart is sinking. As a girl who rarely cries, looking at my family brings tears to my eyes every time. I am thinking about the simple things like how much I will miss my mother's cooking, my dad's sense of humor, my brother's random hugs, my sister's friendship, my youngest sister is growing up too fast, my stepmother's great advice, my grandmother's adventures, and reflecting with my grandfather. After spending a summer home with the people I love most, I can't begin to express how hard it will be to say goodbye, but I can tell you how important it is to cherish every moment you spend with the people who are most important in your life. For those of you going off to college, for your first, second, third, or even your senior year, make sure to give them and extra hug and kiss because you will miss them while you are off growing up and forging your own path.

<span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker" data-verified="redactor"></span>