If You Give a Trump a Twitter

If You Give a Trump a Twitter

When Voting Isn't Enough

17
If You Give a Trump a Twitter

There is only one week until the 2016 presidential election. We have suffered through months of a Donald J. Trump campaign filled with unabashed racism, sexism, and ableism--the holy trinity of offensive "isms." He is, to put it in academic terms, a literal monster whose tiny hands are not strong enough to pull his orange plastic head out of his own butthole, and yet, he still has majority favor in more than one state in this nation. He still ranks high in poles. I cannot go a single day without being assaulted by the image of his leathery jowls flapping in the wind of his own big fat lies coming out of his big fat mouth.

I am angry, good readers.

I am angry that this actual garbage bag has made it this far. I am angry that he has been so positively reinforced for such dangerous, hate-filled rhetoric. I am angry that he continues to parade around as if he has any kind of superiority over anyone when he has never uttered one single sentence worth listening to in his entire existence. I am angry that a man (I hesitate to refer to him as that) who would never look at me as more than a pair of breasts and a vagina may become the president of the United States.

A part of me wants nothing more than the chance to be in the same room as the Donald. I want to get in his face and yell and scream and spit. I want him to hear that I do not respect him because he'll never respect me. I want him to hear that he is nothing more than a sad little boy who must put others down to feel powerful. I want him to hear that he could make himself dictator, but he will never have power over me. He will never be my President.

Unfortunately, even if I ever got the chance to tell Trump what I think, it would be fruitless. After all, he's Donald Trump, business genius and lady killer, and I'm just a fat pig and a loser who doesn't know real politics. He'd hear me, but I know he wouldn't listen. I concede that I will never be more to Donald Trump than a potential hole to put his dick in.

Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton put it best when they said, "when they go low, we go high." Hillary can win with facts. She can win with preparation. She can win with having the nation's best interests in mind.

Here's the thing though: Hillary and Michelle said they'd go high. I did not.

A few weeks ago, I got tired of feeling powerless. I got tired of feeling like my only way to speak out against Trump was to vote. You can bet your bottom dollar that I am voting (my ballot is filled out and one stamp away from being sent in), but it wasn't enough for me. A vengeful, petty part of me wanted to fight as dirty as Trump's been fighting. I wanted to fight on a medium that he spends just as much time on as I do, and that I had the best chance of reaching him on. So, I turned to Twitter.

For about one week earlier this month, I sent a tweet directly to Trump at least three times a day. These tweets ranged from as cordial as I could make myself "@realDonaldJTrump, Alec Baldwin is a better Trump than you") to a little too graphic for me to justify sharing in this article, but I will say it referred to his famous quote about how he would date his daughter if she were not his daughter. Once I just went through every tweet I saw, did some fact checking, and replied "this is a lie" to everything I saw inconsistencies in. I tweeted him seven times that day. My crowning achievement was when I directly messaged him a link to my Odyssey article from a few weeks ago, "Why I'm Voting for Trump," in hopes that he'd be happy to see some praises from a young white female voter and click on it and then see the satirical nature of it. It was a fun week. A part of me was really hoping he'd notice my slew of slander and maybe, if I was really lucky, he'd send me a lawsuit and I'd be able to nab him for attempting to stifle my freedom of speech.

Did he ever respond to me? No. Did he even ever read my tweets? Most likely not. But did I feel better? I sure did.

So my take home message is this: while I do not condone cyberbullying and the internet is not the place to be making such hurtful comments, I feel that Trump has been hurtful to all of us. If you're feeling powerless like I did, first of all, vote. But if you feel voting is just not enough, do not be afraid to voice to Trump how you feel. Let him know how he's offended you. Let him know how he's not your President. Exercise your freedom of speech and political discourse. And who knows, maybe you'll even get a Trump lawsuit. Imagine putting that on your college application.