An Open Letter To My Ex Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Ex Best Friend

If we ever meet again...
24

It's unfortunate that things ended so horribly that today, we are strangers to each other at best. Or that I can't imagine doing half the things we spent our time doing with anybody else. You were my best friend and I won't ever forget you for that. However, like all good things, our friendship came to an abrupt halt. Maybe I should have made more of an effort to talk to you about the things that were bothering me in my life but, that's just who I am. I am difficult and so are you. Probably why we're strangers today.

However, I want you to that know that if we ever meet again, if we ever run into each other in some coffee shop years from now after we've gotten over the anger and resentment we currently have towards each other, I hope you're happy.

I hope you and that guy you're so in love with are living out the fairy tale that you never thought would exist for you. Because, in a lot of ways, you deserve it. We may not be best friends anymore but I still know you like the back of my hand, and if anyone is good for you, it's him. And if you're not with anyone, I hope that you've finally gained the confidence to be alone and know that it's okay. You're just as great with someone as you are without someone.

If we ever meet again, I hope we can still laugh about all the stupid things we did as unsupervised kids that our parents would probably kill us for. And then shudder to think that we were ever that dumb. I hope we can still recall all the late nights spent talking on the phone, saving each other from that week's crisis. And I sincerely hope, we can look back on it fondly because I firmly believe there was a time when those phone calls saved our lives.

I hope you have a job that you're happy working because life is too short to waste your time slaving away at a dead-end job. I hope you went back to school like you always talked about and pursued your own happiness and fulfillment. I know that I have, and I'd like the same for you. I hope you're living comfortably and you never have to struggle for the things that you need, with enough left over to have the things that you want.

I hope you're surrounded by great friends who come over on the weekends for a drink at the end of a long work week. I hope you have friends that know that on the bad days that you don't need to be dragged out of the house, just bring over some ice cream and cuddle up with some blankets and Netflix. I hope they understand that your life revolves around putting yourself out there for people who don't deserve it and I hope they know how to fix your broken heart when things don't go according to plan.

And a part of me hopes that if we ever meet again, years from now, that I can tell you how happy I am, that I'm working a job that I wake up every day excited to go to. Maybe I've found the person I'm going to marry. Wherever I am and whatever it is that I'm doing, I hope I can say that I'm as happy as I am right now, writing this to you.

Here's to 7 years of friendship and over a year since it ended. I truly hope you know that there will always be a place for you in my heart. Here's to hoping if we ever bump into each other, we could manage much more than a weak "hello" and an uncomfortable smile towards each other.

Sincerely,

Your former best friend