If Men's Households Were Star Wars Characters

Franciscan, and Households and Star Wars! OH MY!

164
StarWars.com

I love Star Wars, and I love households at Franciscan University. What better way to celebrate this year's Star Wars Celebration than by comparing men's households to Star Wars characters? I thought this would be a fun one for everyone, so without further ado, let's jump in.

Apprentices of Saint Joseph – R2D2: Like R2, ASJ is reliable, loyal, and technologically adept. R2D2 is practically the main mascot of Star Wars, and I can’t help but think of a particular alum from ASJ that was a mascot in his own “savvy” way.

In His Image - Chewbacca: IHI is the copilot everyone needs. A group of really supportive guys, they’ll be with you through thick and thin, right up to the moment you’re impaled by your estranged son’s lightsaber. IHI has also been known to carry a cutout of Chewie with them to events.

Knights of the Holy Queen – Ewoks: I’m not aiming for the cute and cuddly angle here folks. The Ewoks were large in number as the Knights typically are. They were also a reliable and courageous species that helped lead the rebellion to victory against the empire. Their value was actually huge in the grand scheme of things, and in this way, the Knights of the Holy Queeen are like the Ewoks.

Diciples of the Word – C3-PO: The Disciples are C3-PO. As far as my experience with them, they’re a very amusing bunch of guys. They are a dedicated group and go with the flow. Although C3-PO can sometimes be a bother in the films, the Disciples mostly reflect his willingness to always help. He has some rather courageous moments as well, and Star Wars wouldn’t be what it is without him, just like Franciscan and the Disciples.

Lion of Judah – Maz Kanata: Maz was an individual who created a sanctuary for those in need of one. She established an outpost on Takodana, a place where everyone was welcome and accepted, no questions asked. In this same way, LOJ strives to create a household experience where all are accepted and made whole through formation.

Living Stones / Koinonia – Lor San Tekka: These gentlemen are Lor San Tekka. We don’t know much about him right now, but we do know he belonged to a group called the church of the force. They were devoted to studying and learning the force and its will. In this same way, these two households are praying and discerning the will of the Holy Spirit to see if priesthood is their vocation.

Pater Noster – Pater Noster is most definitely Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan was a father figure to both Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker. Pater Noster believes deeply that all men are called to live out the virtues of fatherhood. This directly mirrors the mentor that Obi-Wan was throughout the saga.

Prince of Peace – POP has the distinct honor of being Luke Skywalker. They strive to be like more like Jesus as the name of their household is bears the name of Christ Himself. Luke attempted to live up the memory of his father, the once great Jedi and chosen one, Anakin Skywalker.

Prodigal Sons’ Return – The Prods are most definitely Kylo Ren… well, kind of. Assuming Kylo gets a bit of a redemption arc in future films and doesn’t impale his mom too. Like Kylo, the Prods know how to party, but they’ve got a serious side too.

Soldiers Under Command – Soldiers could only have been First Order Stormtroopers. They strive to be responsible, well trained, follow orders, do their duty. And unlike their predecessors, they can actually seem to hit stuff with their blasters.

Servants of the Savior – These guys are the rebel X-Wing pilots. They can rock those pilot fatigues and probably an awesome mustache like that blasted Biggs. They boldly take a stance to no longer be silent to the mediocrity around them. In this same way, the rebel pilots could no longer sit around and watch the oppression of the Empire. I salute you, SOS.

Fishers of Men – Boba Fett: The Fishers of Men take their name from the words of Christ to his disciples. Jesus called them on to lay down their fishing nets and become fishers of men. Coincidentally, Boba Fett was a notorious bounty hunter and was really good at catching people.

AMDG – Bounty Hunters: When AMDG comes into a room, you definitely know it. The group of bounty hunters in Empire Strikes Back were exactly the same way. They totally stood out, and everyone was looking at them. This works for AMDG because Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, the root of their name, means “For the Greater Glory of God.” AMDG’s constant jubilation and fervor for life puts the spotlight on them, and it shows off the joy they share that emanates from Christ Jesus.

Guardians of the Divine Will – Chirrut Îmwe: The Guardians base their lives and their purpose off of “the loving dialogue between God and man through our commitment to purity, consecration, and mission.” This is totally Chirrut Îmwe. A devoted member of the Guardians of the Whills, he constantly speaks to the force, urging its will be done. This dialogue is exactly what the Guardians represent with Christ. They’re also a pretty funny group of guys like Chirrut is, so that’s a bonus.

Brothers of the Eternal song – They’re totally these guys from Phantom Menace.