30 Things Every IB Student Knows To Be True As Told By "Parks And Rec"

"Because we're smart" ~April Ludgate

109
wesharepics.info

International Baccalaureate (IB) is a global diploma program of a college-level curriculum. Founded in 1968, the rigorous program consists of six parts: first language, second language, social studies, mathematics, sciences and the arts. In addition to those six topics, students also complete a Theory of Knowledge (TOK) class, Extended Essay (~4,000-word paper on a topic of their choosing), and CAS (creativity, action, and service). IB students have a lot on their plates, so it's only fair to bring comedic relief to their plight with "Parks and Rec".

1. After reading each syllabus on the first day of school and realizing it’s all downhill from here

"It's only two years," I remind myself.

2. When you decide to take Math Studies instead of Math SL

Work smarter not harder. Why take the harder class for the same credit?

3. Trying to blend in with non-IB students like

Embrace your nerdiness! Don't change yourself just to fit in because you're amazing and your intelligence will take you far.

4. Procrastinating your real homework to do random things that could potentially be CAS

I call this productive procrastination since it's still getting work done, just less urgent work.

5. When you decide to finally start your homework and someone compliments your work ethic

Instant gratification is a beautiful thing, but so is the long-term satisfaction that comes from hard work.

6. When you get a rough test grade back

Leslie understands our pain.

7. Your response to the excessive number of acronyms in IB

IB, IA, EA, CAS, EE, WA, IOC, IOP, IO, TOK, HOA, HL, SL, and the list goes on...

8. When you’re having a hard time grasping the ‘International’ part of the program in history class

I know open-mindedness is in the IB learner profile, but you have to admit that it's hard to be totally unbiased.

9. What you say to yourself after a long night of studying

Ron's opinion is really all that matters anyway. Who needs those graders from across the world?

10. When someone asks you how school is going

So true. Andy has to be an IB student.

11. What you say when your millionth IB assessment is announced

April summed it up perfectly.

12. After you pull an all-nighter trying to finish your Extended Essay

Leslie understands, but she probably pulled the all-nighter the day it was assigned rather than the last day. Every class has that one Leslie Knope type of person.

13. When you realize CAS is due tomorrow and you haven't even started

Amidst all of that procrastinating to complete CAS you still failed to reach all of the learner outcomes. Thank you, IB.

14. When the IBO decides to change the objectives on your HL class after the first year

Completely unfair, but it's not like we really learned it the first time anyway.

15. How you respond to people concerned about your stress levels

Somehow the grades don't seem that important until right before that big paper is due or the week before exams.

16. How you feel when your IA rough draft comes back

I think this is a funeral...for my chances to get the diploma.

17. Whenever someone tries to say IB is easy

IB Fam sticks together. You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us.

18. When you finally get the perfect idea for that upcoming paper

It's a conspiracy against you.

19. What you say when your parents try to help you

As much as you appreciate the offer, you know you're better off doing it yourself.

20. After becoming an ‘expert’ on the beauty of capitalism in economics

Make sure to provide at least 10 different graphical illustrations demonstrating this theory and hope that at least one makes it on the mark scheme.

21. When you’re having a rough day and talking it out...bilingually

Might as well use that second language for something, right?

22. The IBO after you pay exam fees

We're giving them money, so we can take tests that we don't really want to take, so they can decide if we're good enough to get a piece of paper? Really doesn't make much sense yet we do it anyway.

23. When you can’t figure out how to upload your assignments to the IBO website

Typing lengthy, eloquent papers? No problem. Using the internet? Too hard.

24. When your teacher announces where your group's extended essays were sent

This is the moment when you realize that you learned nothing about the world after two years in an international program.

25. When you realize you won’t receive your IB diploma in time for high school graduation

Patience is a virtue, but it's not in the IB learner profile.

26. When you have two exams on the same day

We're looking at you, IBO.

27. The last things your teachers say before exams

You learn about natural selection for a reason. It's the founding principle of IB.

28. During the IOC when you aren’t quite sure what your poem means

Improvisation was the most important skill I learned in IB.

29. Trying to study last minute for your science exam like

The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell. Science: completed.

30. When you finally get your diploma

Celebrate! You earned it. More important than a diploma, however, is the people you met, skills you honed and confidence you gained.