I Am A Sorority Woman

I Am A Sorority Woman

The truth behind what it means to be a sorority woman.

741
I Am A Sorority Woman
Emily Elefonte

What does it mean to be a sorority woman?

Many people blindly buy into the misconceptions surrounding Greek life without ever really taking the time to understand what it is. They believe that sorority girls care more about partying and boys than their academic success or personal achievements. They fail to realize that sorority women are the ones with the confidence and perseverance to be leaders of today and innovators of tomorrow.

In 2013, Delta Gamma began a campaign called, "I Am A Sorority Woman." It was intended to break down the stigmas of Greek life by showcasing the outstanding qualities, passions and dreams of sorority women around the nation. The movement has returned for the month of August with a video that encourages women to share who they are with the hashtag #IAmASororityWoman.

Before I began college, I too was under the impression that going Greek was like signing up for Elle Woods' life pre-Harvard Law. I was quickly proven wrong when I joined my freshman year and found myself among some of the most brilliant, caring and driven women that I had ever had the privilege of knowing.

My sisters have accomplished incredible feats that I never fail to be in awe of. I have seen them win leadership awards, land internships at unbelievable organizations and I've watched them devote themselves to making a difference in the lives of others. Above all, I have watched them embody the values that we, as sorority women, have pledged ourselves to -- scholarship, philanthropy, service, personal development and friendship. So, having said that, it is easy to see why demeaning comments toward sororities make my skin crawl.

Although Delta Gamma is the founding organization of "I Am A Sorority Woman," the movement extends far beyond just Delta Gamma. The campaign revolves around empowering every sorority woman to stand up and show the world what they are capable of. We are avid philanthropists, we are stellar students and we are heavily involved in our communities. We are not stigmas. We have been called upon to advocate for ourselves and our fellow sisters so that we can create a world recognizes the value of being a part of something greater than yourself.

Sorority women are not cut from the same cookie cutter. Instead, we break the mold. The media is quick to state that we are all the same, but in my three years of membership I have yet to come across the same girl twice. Our interests, talents and characteristics span across the board, but we are united by our commitment to making a positive impact. #IAmASororityWoman is part of a vital effort to change the world's perspective of sororities. It is a chance for us to show that our personalities and achievements shine brighter than any amount of glitter on a craft.

I will not stand for my sisters or any other sorority woman being reduced down to "just another sorority girl." We have worked too hard and accomplished far too much. You see just a few of the women who I have the honor of calling sisters. The magnitude of their success and the purity of their hearts is reflected not only in their quotes, but in the way they carry out their lives every single day. If you are not familiar with the Greek community, remember these pictures and allow the quotes to motivate you to speak out against disparaging comments. If you are in a sorority, know your worth and never be afraid to celebrate who you are.

We are intelligent.

We are strong.

We are dedicated.

We are unstoppable.

We are sorority women.

Share who you are as a sorority woman with #IAmASororityWoman.

I Am A Sorority Woman from Delta Gamma Fraternity on Vimeo.