I Spoke To A Class Of 2020 Senior From Hunter College, And It's Not As Bad As It Seems

You have to try to find the positive side in all situations.

148
Hunter College

I took the time to interview Hazel, a good friend of mine that I met at Hunter College in my senior year. I was excited to interview with Hazel because she & I have become insanely close over the last few months - and it was all because of Hunter's tutoring center. I was eager to hear her take on her experience at Hunter.

1. Where did you/are you graduating from?

Hunter College.

2. What has it been like spending your last semester under quarantine amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

Stressful. Having classes switch into remote learning not only doubled the workload per class, but it also impacted the social / work balance for many students. I think the isolated learning made it difficult to escape the stress of assignments since we didn't have friends and social gatherings to turn to.

3. Of all the things you missed out on because of quarantine, what has been the hardest to accept?

The hardest thing to accept was not celebrating all your accomplishments with the friends you've made along the way.

4. What has been a silver lining?

As funny as it sounds, I think quarantine brought people closer together. Everybody faced the pandemic together. No one knew what to expect next, but we were able to share our fears, grief, confusion, and optimism with one another. It was up to us to check up on the people we love and make sure we supported each other through this.

5. What have you done to make up for some of the graduation traditions you aren't able to do?

Catching up with friends and family over the phone.

6. What are your next steps, and have they been impacted by coronavirus?

My next steps are similar to most of the graduates: I hope to find a job that will give me experience in my chosen field and propel me into a new experiences. I also look forward to moving out of New York City (to Raquel's dismay). I think COVID has made both goals tougher, but not impossible.

7. What is the worst thing someone can say to a Class of 2020 graduate?

That is a difficult question. For the most part I think the response to the class of 2020 has been extremely positive and sympathetic. But I guess if someone were to say that the class of 2020 had it easy it would be false. The obstacles this class had to face on a daily basis was unimaginable.

8. What is one piece of advice you would love to give to the class of 2021?

Get involved! I can't emphasize how important it is to build relationships with the professors and the centers at Hunter. Take advantage of all the learning centers and the career development services. It's so important to have a team that will guide you towards graduation.

9. What about the last few months do you think you'll remember most?

The support from peers and professors.

10. What is the best thing college has taught you?

College gave me the environment to break out of my shell and find my own opportunities. Hunter was full of fun moments, difficult moments, and confusing moments, but it all led me to where I am now.