I Jumped Into Adulthood Quick, Listen Mooch Off Your Parents

I Rushed Into Adulthood And, Trust Me, Lean On Your Parents While You Still Can

Mooch off your parents and appreciate them. That's what they're there for, sometimes.

68

Being away for college is such a relief if you love your independence.

I love college. I love being able to do what I need and not have to really answer to anyone. College was such a rush for me. I could be out until the next morning if I wanted to be. It was a nice feeling but quickly went away when I realized that I was still being held back.

I didn't have a job, so I got one. I didn't have a car, but my parents were gracious enough to lend me one. I made enough money that I got a puppy. I'm making even more money, so now I'm moving out of my free college dorm into an apartment that I am paying for myself. I can afford these things for myself, but do I want to?

Now I work 40 hours a week so that I can save money to buy things I really need for myself. I barely have time to go out and meet friends, let alone spend time with my boyfriend. I love the roommates I'm going to have, my puppy, and my boyfriend. However, I wish I had taken it slow. I wish I had been able to enjoy life for a second, not tell my boss that I'm okay to work like a dog (pun intended).

I got into a car accident, and I still see that as Karma. I was cocky.

I was taking things for granted and my car being totaled was a huge piece of my life missing. Not having a car in college, with a job, is incredibly difficult. I have to ask people for rides, and my anxiety makes that very hard. Other times I uber to work which is expensive considering I live in the Atlanta area where everything is expensive. I take my dog to work with me, which makes it hard to uber. You get my point.

I took life by the armful and I should've just taken it a handful at a time. I still love my life and who I'm surrounded with, I just wish I had time to breathe now. Mooch off your parents and appreciate them. That's what they're there for, sometimes.