Hurricanes Stumble Against Panthers

Hurricanes Stumble Against Panthers

Miami's undefeated season comes to an end, as they now look toward the ACC Championship Game.
23

Miami entered its game with Pitt with aspirations of an undefeated season. However, that came to an end after the Panthers upset the Hurricanes 24-14 in a stunner. All is not quite lost as Miami can still redeem itself next week with a win against 1st ranked Clemson. But, the Hurricanes did lose their ability to control their own destiny with the loss to Pitt.

Pitt started the game by striking first. They drove down the field and got their crowd involved in the game when the Panthers scored a field goal to go up 3-0. Miami’s offense would respond, however, with their own drive down the field. The drive was capped by an impressive touchdown by Ahmmon Richards where he managed to keep his balance and break the pylon. However, those were the last points the Hurricanes until the fourth quarter. Right before halftime, Pitt’s QB Kenny Pickett would jump into the end zone to give the Panthers a 10-7 lead.

The Hurricanes received the kickoff after halftime but were unable to score points. Later in the third quarter, Pitt would seize the momentum when Ollison caught a short pass for a touchdown. The Panthers were up 17-7 entering the fourth quarter.

With Miami’s offense struggling to find a rhythm throughout the game, Coach Richt decided to put in backup QB Evan Sheriffs for QB Malik Rosier. Sheriffs was unable to complete a pass, and the Panthers had the ball back in almost a minute. The Panthers would add to their lead once more when Pickett ran 22 yards down the left side of the field for a touchdown. Rosier was back in the game for Miami on their next drive, and he found Braxton Berrios for a wide open 39-yard touchdown. Miami then performed and recovered an onside kick, but Pitt recovered a Rosier fumble to end the game for good.

The Hurricanes have a chance to bounce back next week against Clemson in the ACC Championship Game. The winner will most likely earn a spot in the CFB playoff.

TURNOVER CHAIN:

LB Michael Pinckney recovered a fumble to stop a Pitt drive.

CB Sheldrick Redwine forced a fumble that was recovered by S Jaquan Johnson.