Hurricanes Basketball Off To A Strong Start

Miami will begin ACC conference play December 30th @ Pitt.

48
Instagram

UM basketball is having one of its best years so far as the team has started off undefeated. This is largely because the team has a lot of returning starters in Bruce Brown (Sophomore guard), Ja’Quan Newton (Senior guard), Anthony Lawrence (Junior guard), as well as 5-star recruit Lonnie Walker (Freshman guard) and 4-star recruit Chris Lykes (Freshman guard).

Because of a hand injury to guard Bruce Brown, Walker earned his first start of the season against Boston University. In his first game as a starter, Lonnie Walker had a game-high 26 points. He showcased his soft touch by knocking down four threes, and also displayed his athleticism on some strong drives to the basket.

RECAP OF UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI’S PAST THREE GAMES:

December 5th: Miami Hurricanes 69 Boston University Terriers 54

Lonnie Walker showed his potential when he scored 26 points on 9/15 shooting in his debut as a starter. Miami had a double digit lead throughout most of the matchup, although Boston University cut the lead to single digits at times. But, the game was never in doubt, and the Hurricanes gained a solid home win.

December 2nd: Miami Hurricanes 80 Princeton Tigers 52

DJ Vasiljevic (Sophomore guard) led Miami with 20 points on 7/9 shooting and 5/7 shooting from three. Bruce Brown also contributed with 17 points on 6-8 shooting and 4/5 shooting from three. Behind great shooting, the Canes were able to take care of the Tigers without much difficulty.

November 29th: Miami Hurricanes 86 Minnesota Gophers 81

Dewan Huell (Sophomore forward) led the Hurricanes in scoring with 23 points on 10/16 shooting. In his first year as a starter, Huell seems to be settling into his role nicely. This game was the first true test of the Hurricanes’ season, as Minnesota was ranked #12 at the time of this matchup.

After a strong start to the season, the Hurricanes look prepared to open up ACC conference play. The first conference game will be December 30th at Pitt. The first home conference game will be January 5th against Florida State.