Why Hunting Matters: A Case Study Of Ungulate Use On Riparian Ecosystems

Population control is important to the health, vitality and success of wildlife and their habitats alike.

43
Wallpaper Up

Red Rock Lakes Wildlife Refuge (RRLWR), located in Southwest Montana, is home to the largest wetland complex in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. These riparian zones are essential habitat for migrating waterfowl, ungulates and predators alike. Therefore, it is important that the refuge maintains healthful wetlands to be utilized by wildlife. Outlined in the Comprehensive Conservation Plan for the refuge are the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s goals and objectives for the area. They are stated as such:

"Maintain at least 2,000 acres of willow-dominated riparian habitat at moderate to low browse levels for the greater than eighty Shiras moose …If the browse surveys show that browse levels are above a threshold that would sustain or improve current willow habitats, cooperate with MFWP to develop and implement an adaptive harvest plan for native ungulates."

According to Bill West, the refuge manager, this is perhaps one of the most controversial goals in the entirety of the Comprehensive Conservation Plan for Red Rock Lakes Wildlife Refuge. Many special-interest groups were outraged, concerned or upset by the idea that Alces alces (Shiras moose) might be harvested on a wildlife refuge. These feelings are not unique to the refuge, the region or even Montana. In many places, special interest groups and individuals alike ban together under the idea that hunting shouldn’t be a part of people’s lives. Whatever the reasoning for their apprehensions, they are often misplaced. Population management is needed in places like Red Rock Lakes Wildlife Refuge to lower the spread of disease, make sure that adequate food resources are available and maintain habitats.

The facts are that humans have divided by home ranges of thousands of different types of animals and therefore the landscape can, often times, not support the historic wildlife populations. This idea applies to willow-dominated wetlands, which are sometimes overbrowsed by moose and elk. The importance to maintaining healthy riparian ecosystems cannot be overstated and woody vegetation is a key component to the majority of riparian ecosystems, including those on the Red Rock Lakes Wildlife refuge. Because intense browsing by multiple herbivores can have negative effects of growth, reproductions and even long-term persistence of willows, it is vital that the Refuge maintains their goals for healthy, willow-dominated riparian habitat. Moreover, there is evidence that the browsing of willows by moose over a long period (50+-100 years) of time can contribute to slower decomposition rates. In a study conducted in 1997 in Alaska, it was found that in riparian areas, which are typically known for relatively high decomposition levels, saw that herbivory by moose contributed to the ultimate encroachment of conifers and slower carbon turnover.

If and when ungulate population increase in riparian zones to the point where over-browsing is occurring, it is time to take action. Hunting is a relatively humane form of population control that helps mimics predator events that happen in nature, but have been disrupted by humans. Willows, such as those found in RRLWR are utilized to not only moose but species of concern such as trumpeter swans and artic greyling. Over-browsing can even contribute to wetland disappearance altogether. From a purely biologic standpoint, hunting is an important tool to maintaining the health of our environment.