Are We Humans Or Are We Leprechauns?

Are We Humans Or Are We Leprechauns?

Global warming —a battle for both on the Emerald Isle

404
Are We Humans Or Are We Leprechauns?
Taeghan Hagood

The rumors are true; it’s as iffy as the Liffey.

I hate to be the breaker of bad news, but this St. Paddy’s Day was far from sunshine and rainbows. I bet even the leprechauns were upset when snow painted the island white instead of green this year. I hear they are in favor of a greener lifestyle.

Being of Irish heritage and spending my semester abroad in Dublin, you could say I had high expectations and hopes for what this holiday celebration would bring. This semester, I live next to St. Patrick’s Tower and a hop, skip, and a jump down the street from St. Patrick’s Cathedral. For Christ’s sake, I might as well have attended Finnegan’s Wake.

It pains me to report that I was underwhelmed by the lack of pride Dubliners showed on this day—the pride I know Irish people undoubtedly have. It was like telling a child Santa isn’t real. It defies the laws of preserving any drop of youth that is left in us. You just don’t do it.

This year’s turnout left me with an unsettling feeling, similar to the one I got when I was told cereal with milk was a soup. I know…debatable... let it sit. Just kidding, soggy cereal is most definitely one of the most unfortunate events that are a symptom of time, but I am not kidding when I went green to cope with the lack thereof on this March 17th.

I will say that the Americans who flooded the Dublin streets were enough to jumpstart my rudimentary excitement, and I did start and end the day at the infamous Whelan’s with a pint of Guinness in hand, so I can’t really complain. But if I were you, I'd save some money because no matter where you are in the world the festivities bestowed upon this lovely holiday are more or less the same. A word from the wise, Guinness is way better than green beer.

With my remaining time in the land of the leprechauns, I will continue my hunt for a four leaf clover or a pot of gold while eating potatoes and listening to The Script because neither of those is the least bit disappointing. I have seen a rainbow thus far, so I do have hope. It may be the leprechauns or just the luck of the Irish, but I couldn’t be prouder to say this place does feel like home.