Humans Are Causing The Extinction Of The Giraffe

Why Giraffes Are Being Threatened

74
animalwonder.com

This past week I saw giraffes trending for all the wrong reasons. These majestic animals are becoming extinct at an alarming rate along with other African animals, which include the rhino, elephant, and lion. I was not only disheartened, but seriously scared of what will happen to the future of the world’s tallest animal. It doesn’t surprise me that the giraffe is experiencing such rapid declines in its population because there are many factors caused by humans that are to blame. Poaching and hunting are probably two of the biggest reasons why giraffes are losing a battle they can’t win. Many illegal poachers kill species like the giraffes with the gains of getting big money and will kill innocent animals because the money is worth it. Along with poaching, exotic hunting is another factor that is killing off giraffes. Plenty of wealthy hunters from across the world are paying big bucks to hunt and kill giraffes. These hunters have no regards for not only giraffes, but for many other animals that reside in Africa. They travel back to their homes and have these animals stuffed and mounted on their walls. These animals are only thought to be of trophies and it’s truly repulsive. I often wonder what these hunters will hunt when there are no more beautiful giraffes and other animals left. I can’t imagine why killing an animal for sport would be entertaining or intriguing. These factors along with habitat destruction are causing the giraffe toward extinction.

In thinking about how this tall animal could go extinct within the next 50 years, it made me incredibly worried about the future of wild animals on this planet. I whole hearte dly believe that animals have the same rights people do on this Earth. When I think back to being a child and going to the zoo, I always wondered why these animals were locked behind bars and not able to roam free. Fast forward to my adult self and now I know why, zoos will be the last place where these exotic animals are found. It’s truly sad that humans can’t see and won’t take responsibility for their destruction on animal populations. Every animal, insect, and plant deserve to live a life like their human counterparts. I know there are plenty of people who think that animals are just mindless organisms and some people even consider them as pests. However, all the animals that come from the rain forests in Brazil to the grasslands in Africa play a major role in ecosystems. If humans continue to kill off these precious animals there will be huge consequences for other organisms, which could ultimately lead to an extinction of all animals on this earth. It may seem like hope is lost with the environment and the animals that exist here, but I believe in hope and change. Though it may feel like we are headed to utter destruction since Donald Trump became president, there are plenty of environmental conservation efforts underway to help save these important species. I don’t want to live in a world where my kids only view of seeing a giraffe is through a book or magazine. The time for action is now and the animals that are at risk need help more than ever.