Humans, But No Humanity: Major 2016 Attacks

Hatred. Murder. Terrorism. Racism. Sexism. 2016 will be a year no one will soon forget.
3

Hatred. Murder. Terrorism. Racism. Sexism. 2016 was a year that none one will soon forget. Countless shootings, bombings, attacks, stabbings, and other horrible events is why this past year will go down in history as, if not the worst, then one of the worst, years in history. 2016 will go down in history as the year where the United States had its worst mass shooting.

1. Orlando Pulse Nightclub Shooting

The worst mass shooting in the history of the Unites States happened in 2016. Forty-nine victims, not including the shooter, were killed in the tragedy and another fifty-three victims were injured out of the three-hundred people that were inside the nightclub in Orlando, Florida. This left the families and friends of the victims and the members of the LGBTQ community devastated.

2. Bastille Day Attack

Bastille Day, which is celebrated on July fourteenth every year, is a national holiday celebrating the 1789 date of the storming of the Bastille. In 2016, a truck drove into a crowd Nice, France in a ISIS-inspired attack, killing eighty-seven victims and injuring four-hundred-thirty-four other victims.

3. The Ohio State University Attack

An ISIS-inspired attack on The Ohio State University left only the attacker dead after injuring eleven victims with a motor vehicle and a butcher knife. Although no one had lost their lives other than the attacker, students at universities all across the country feared going to class or stepping foot on their campuses in fear of losing their lives to an attacker.

4. Brussels Bombing

In Brussels, two suicide bombers about thirty-seven seconds apart, detonated bombs the Brussels Airport in Zaventem. One hour after the two suicide bombs detonated at the airport, another suicide bomb was detonated at the Maelbeek Metro Station. Then, after the attacks, a nail bomb, chemicals, and and ISIS flag were found at a home. These ISIS-inspired attacks killed thirty-two victims, not including three suicide-bombers, and injured more than three-hundred other victims.

5. Germany Train Stabbing

Five victims were wounded when a seventeen-year-old unleashed an attacked with an ax on a German train. The attacker was killed after fleeing to a nearby town. The motive for the attack was unclear, but it is suspected the seventeen-year-old was working with ISIS when he perpetrated the attack on the train. This left many in shock; and people began questioning whether refugees should be allowed in countries because, although there are many refugees escaping conflict, some are coming to countries to cause conflict and unleash attacks.

6. Istanabul Airport Attack

In this ISIS-inspired attack, forty-one victims lost their lives and two-hundred-thirty more victims were injured by three attackers with guns and a bomb. They began firing at a terminal after arriving in a taxi; it was followed by detonating a bomb to blow themselves up after police fired at them.

7. Charleston Church Shooting

During a Bible study session at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina, nine victims lost their lives after the shooter began the attack after an hour of sitting in on the Bible study with his soon-to-be victims. The crime was deemed a hate crime because the church was a historically black church. The attack left the community shocked and devastated, proving racism still exists in this day and age.

8. Cascade Mall Shooting

The Cascade Mall shooting took place in Burlington, Washington when five victims lost their lives to the twenty-year-old gunman opened fire with a stolen rifle. The authorities said there was no reason to believe it was related to terrorism, while he said he was interested in the activities of ISIS. It is believed that the possible motive of the attack was the break-up of a worker from the Macy’s store. She hadn't worked their in months and currently lives in another county, however.

9. Munich Mall Shooting

The attack, led by a teenager who planned for a year, took the lives of nine victims and injured sixteen others at a shopping district in Munich, Germany. Although a motive is unclear, it’s said that he researched rampage shootings and was obsessed with shootings.

10. Dallas Police Shooting

In 2016, one-hundred-thirty-five police officers lost their lives. While some died in traffic accidents, nearly half were shot to death. This means a fifty-six percent increase in shooting deaths. One of the shootings was the Dallas sniper attack, which is seen as the deadliest attack on police officers since 9/11. A peaceful protest was going on in Dallas, Texas, where five officers were killed and eleven were injured. The shooter had stated that he wanted to kill officers and expressed killing white people. This mass shooting was deemed a hate crime

During my research for tragedies that struck the Unites States and the rest of the world, I found that much more happened than I could cover in one article. In a few minutes of research, I found that there were twelve shootings, six bombings, three stabbings, eight attacks, and a multitude of other tragedies. If I would have dug deeper into my research, I probably would have found more than those numbers. 2016 was full of more hatred, murder, racism, sexism, and terrorism than any society should have to endure in a lifetime. There are seven billion people in the world, but where’s the humanity?