Humanity: Hope Is Not Yet Lost

Humanity: Hope Is Not Yet Lost

There is always a little bit of light in the darkness

54
Humanity: Hope Is Not Yet Lost

With the many events that have happened over the span of a couple months it seems like many people feel cheated or undermined by America. We have had many great and heart breaking moments that will go down in history.

These actions have caused many Americans to lose hope in people. To lose hope in humanity or just not care about our country. So many people have begun to see our world as half-empty.

This idea breaks my heart. I choose to see the good in people and be glass-full type of person. Some people see this as naive and see me as clueless to reality. I am a hispanic women in a sorority. I have heard and dealt with many incidents that could have turned me bitter but they didn’t. I won’t lie that some of the things being said have pissed me off.

For example, Donald Trump’s beautiful speech where he stated, “The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.” After this, the internet blew up with stories of Mexican rapists killing women and comments just bashing Hispanics as a whole. I am sorry to break it to you Donald Trump but 71% of rapes committed in the U.S.A are committed by white male according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

But the reality is that I am sure Donald Trump,hard around the edges, is a good guy.

In 2013, Donald Trump tweeted about a Darnell Barton, a 37 year old bus driver who saved a women from jumping off the Scajaquada Expressway in western New York.

Critics said it was publicity but that's $10,000 MORE that a school bus driver has for doing something heroic. "The Donald" has also done many other good deeds with his millions to change people's lives.

And so I went on a quest to find some more moments that shows people breaking those nasty stigmas.

1. Men are players and can't commit.

I cried watching this video. This is true love and the fact that we have made our dating culture so superficial should not be blamed just on men.

2. School employees don't care about the children

While many want to focus on the bad that happens in school, you never hear about those teachers or staff that made a difference.

3. Professional athletes just care about themselves

Nate Collins, who was a defensive tackle for the Chicago Bears at the time took a little girl named Nadia to her "Daddy-Daughter" dance. Her father had lost his fight with cancer two years earlier.

4. Greek Life is full of privileged, narcissistic adults who just party

This one hits close to home. I love my sorority and have met some wonderful people in other chapters. These people dedicate their time and effort to improving their community. It is true greek members enjoy parties but so do affiliated college students.

This video shows the Gamma Phi Beta chapter at the University of Southern California presented their housekeeper, who has worked with them for 24 years, $21,000 for a new car. Her excitement and surprise brings joy to my heart.

This video makes me extremely happy because I love Gamma Phi and without it my college career would be a lot harder to get through. I have had some moments that should have tore me down and left me on the ground injured and defeated but the women of my chapter held me up and dusted me off.

5. All cops are hateful

Officers of the law...good or bad?

Some people hate them and some praise them. The people need an scapegoat and most of the time the easiest person to blame is a cop. They took on the hard job of being the bad guy. Some may be corrupt but some may love their jobs because they protect and serve. They love the people they devoted their lives to protect.

He's a straight cop having fun....that's it. Don't overthink everything.

There is a lot more videos and pictures out there that show the kindness that people can have. No matter how dark one person can be that can not represent their entire gender, ethnicity or age group.

Life is about Perspective....there will always be some bad but even more good.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite videos that challenges stereotypes in a enjoyable way.