How To Win The Love Game

How To Win The Love Game

Always remember to say "good game."

197
How To Win The Love Game
Gametime CT

One thing I’ve learned in my lifetime of being an athlete is that you are supposed to show good sportsmanship at the end of a match; win or lose. “Good game, good game, good game, good game…” Whether it be volleyball, baseball or anything in between, every athlete has this post-game ritual down to a science. The funny thing about this is that even as a washed up athlete, looking back on high school as the best years of my life, I still haven’t forgotten this.

Life throws a lot of curveballs- pun intended- and it’s interesting to see how often times, we handle them by using advice and attitudes taught to us by our coaches. This applies particularly in situations involving relationships. Duh, that’s why it’s called a love game. Don’t believe me? Think about it. Let’s say you’re dating someone. You two are in the puppy-love cupcake phase, everything is great and fantastic. Sure, maybe this isn’t the perfect guy or girl for you, but you’re still trying to get over that ex of yours. So that makes them perfect! Nothing can go wrong, the world is a great place, you’re about to score, all you have to do is round the bases and make it home. You’re so close that you can taste it when out of nowhere the catcher steps into the baseline and boom- you two crash into each other. When the dust settles, you’re out. Game over. In the midst of this lovey-dovey phase, you didn’t realize that they too were still getting over someone, and maybe you two never really liked each other all that much in the first place. Whether this is true or not, you still probably hate the catcher for stopping you from scoring. If you weren’t clear headed when you were running for home in the first place, you sure as heck aren’t going to be clear headed after a collision like that. As angry as you are after the game- and this is the important part- you still have to shake hands and congratulate the other team. Sure, maybe that player took a cheap shot, but that doesn’t matter anymore. The game is over.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my coaches, it doesn’t matter who wins and who loses; the real winner is the athlete who is able to hold their head up at the end of the match with pride knowing that they played a fair game. “Always give credit to your teammates, and ALWAYS give credit to the other team, it isn’t about you”. I’ll never forget that rule that my high school volleyball coach taught me, and I continue to live by it. In the post game interviews, the reporters are going to ask what you think of the last second play by the other team. “You seemed like you had this win in the bag, what happened?!” “That was a pretty aggressive move by that player back there, thoughts?” You can tell them whatever you want, but think about what all of your coaches have ever told you about interviews. It isn’t about you. Friends and family are going to ask questions, and no matter what you tell them, just like sports reporters they are going to twist your words to make you say exactly what they wanted to hear. Any athlete knows that this happens, it’s part of the game. At the end of it all, you should not be the reason for any negative talk about the opposing team. What’s the point? Good sportsmanship creates great players with the most supporters. Just because the catcher stopped you from scoring, doesn’t mean the whole opposing team hates you; don’t give them a reason to by talking trash when it’s all over. Give credit where credit is due. When you shake hands at the end of the game, you’re going to get to the catcher at some point. You can either be that person and avoid their hand as you’re walking (come on, we’ve all done it), or you can shake their hand like everyone else. Remember that you were the one who agreed to play the game in the first place and that sometimes these things happen, and tell them “good game”.