How Trump Economy Wins Him Votes

How Trump Economy Wins Him Votes

​ I never write PolCrits on this platform, but this time I feel like I need to join this huge club​.

5
How Trump Economy Wins Him Votes
Political Poetics

While stories on my Snapchat show the gathering scene in Blanchard where the overall atmosphere went from laid-back and relaxed to nearly depressed, I was sitting alone in my dorm, watching on my computer the red number outweighing the blue, silently hoping for a miracle.

I am deeply concerned about my friends, who belong to all the minority groups Trump publicly slandered, I am. But my real worries are about his diplomatic policies, his attitude towards international trade and his attempt to build inside America a large manufacturing empire—the so-called the “Trump Economy”.

I rarely write political critiques on this platform, but this time I feel like I need to join this huge club and point something out that a lot of my college friends, who are being overly emotional over some of Trump’s unrealistic claims, overlook.

While we weep over the LGBTQ community, POCs and women, who were actually gaining massive public support promoted by the democrats throughout the campaign and even over these years, we should shift our focus on what, to Trump, and perhaps the interest groups standing behind the curtain, are realistic to pull off.

Donald J. Trump, from the beginning of his campaign, has been taking a hostile attitude towards China and some of the other countries that rely largely on manufacturing industries. No matter his gibberish about global warming or his anti-immigration build-a-wall language, his incentive is simple: claim to preserve manufacturing work opportunities for workers who can no longer accommodate this country’s capitalistic development.

This is basically one of the major reasons why Trump has gained excessive support from the mass of uneducated and unskilled workers, yes, even POCs and women, in this country—a group which the democratic party has largely overlooked.

Among other populations concurring Trump due to their religions and discriminations, workers with thoughts like “this man’s gonna give us jobs” has formed a large proportion of votes for, in their minds, subsistence comes first. Increasing international trade pulls up the country’s overall economy, but certain costs are inevitable: fewer workers are needed, and structural unemployment occurs. This is a fact that’s been happening during Obama’s presidency. Workers feel alienated to the regime, especially the regime under control of the Democratic Party—which was supposed to take the poor’s side.

Despite Hillary’s attempts by retrieving international trade deals, the ideas she’s been promoting don’t penetrate into the bottom of this society. She is political, rational, systematic, but Trump has grasped a vital factor: his economics plan speaks directly to the group being harmed by these 8 Obama years.

This is dangerous, for it resembles what the Russians have experienced before the brutal tyranny of Stalinism, and what China had experienced before Mao. When the regime is disconnected with grass-roots, new leadership jumps in, no matter how irational and short-sighted it would be.

Blind yet fanatic support from the uneducated mass, which very much resembles revolutionary China, is exactly what has been happening now in the central-west states and rural south. The only words they digested from the entire campaign is “Trump brings us jobs, Hillary does not”.

This is dangerous, because when people lacking knowledge and experience collectively believe in something terribly wrong, there will be chaos.

If Trump does pull off most of his intended economic policies, this will be a throwback to America under isolationism. But this time, it would be through means that would throw this whole country backward. Stagnate international trade. Expand domestic oil extraction and ignore environmental protection. Expand the manufacturing industry and keep cheap labor force.

How perfect. When unemployment happens, his idea is to simply push the whole society backward to adapt to unskilled workers.

Trump includes China in every of his criticisms in public. A Huffington Post video sarcastically put together all 234 times of Trump mentioning China in his speeches throughout his campaign.

He also has mocked Chinese and Japanese accents, vilified China and intimated he may have supported the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

At the beginning when his public speeches were not filtered, Donald Trump pointed explicitly at Asian college students for stealing jobs in certain fields, which supposed to belong to “the American people”, especially job offers matching stem subjects.

He threats to exert %40 tariff on import from China.

Yet he doesn’t strengthen, or simply doesn’t realize, that China is currently trying desperately to get rid of their “world factory” name tag and is succeeding, because it knows that, to keep a country in steady development, the population of cheap workforce needs to shrink and manufacturing industries need to mechanize. Unemployment can be made up by retraining workers with education, as it is successfully done by many countries in northern Europe.

Hence the elevation of life quality of the population overall.

A Trump Economy, on the other hand, grants this country nothing but alienation and backwardness. Rural areas would continue to be uneducated and struggle for subsistence while the excessive manufacturing industry, combining other factors, would deteriorate environmental conditions.

And so forth.

But in the end, I still have to say this: we are still waking up in the morning and embracing reality. Believe in America’s check-and-balance system which your ancestors established to deal with situations like this one, believe in this country.