My Parents Always Talked About Sex Openly With Me

My Parents Always Talked About Sex Openly With Me, And I'm So Grateful For Their Candor

And now, I write about sex.

121
Family
Jennifer Kustanovich

My mom and dad talk about sex. They never hid it from me and never freaked out when I came home with sex ed diagrams of female and male genitalia. Instead, my dad quizzed me on the fill-in-the-blank diagrams because I was determined to get an A (as I am with any other test).

I was never uncomfortable bringing this material to my parents to laugh at and discuss. I'm grateful that they weren't mortified either.

My parents are my best friends and it's always been this way. I share everything with them, including boys and all that fun stuff. This is how my older brother and I were raised—we can tell our parents anything, they will always be there. I am a mature, independent young woman who can make her own choices. I am not my parents' puppet to control. They are here to guide me so that I can handle all parts of life.

Sex is just another part of life's journey and they get it.

I never had the sex talk with my parents. Life just flowed naturally and I was always open with them. I will always be their baby girl, but I'm getting older and older. If I had a question, they were there. When I had my first kiss, I couldn't stop bugging them about it: "I kissed a boyyyy! I kissed a boyyyy!" When I had boy drama, my dad was the one who helped me reply to texts as he speaks boy-talk and can relate to what a teenage boy is thinking. Not so long ago, my mom and dad were horny teenagers themselves learning about relationships, love, and heartbreak. I've heard the stories!

And now, I write about sex. Neither of them questioned it and I'm so lucky to have that. When my parents speak of my work, my dad will make note that some pieces aren't for the lighthearted, but neither of them is ashamed. What is there to be embarrassed about? S.E.X. Sex. It's natural, most everyone has or will experience intimacy. Humans crave this attention and connection. I was taught how to enjoy the world and be safe. I could ask questions and never be judged.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

When I have kids of my own, they will grow up knowing what sex is. They will know how to protect themselves. Know how to say "no." Know who to come to when they need help. I don't want them going to others with the risk of being misinformed. I want to provide a safe environment and not have "The Talk" be so awkward.