How to Stick to New Year's Resolutions: Ask Jack(ie) #11

You can do it.

9
www.lovethispic.com

Jackie,

With New Year's resolutions in mind, how do you stick with them?

Dear N.Y. Resolutioner,

How have your New Year's resolutions been so far?! It's been a month already! Time flies.

If you've already kicked them to the curb, not to worry. Every day can be a new day to make resolutions.

How to stick with them:

1. Clearly define your resolutions

Set out terms for what your resolutions are, what you can give yourself leeway with, etc. Are there exceptions to your resolutions? Those can make a real indent on your resolutions because if you haven't set out clear rules for your resolutions, you may end up making so many exceptions that you haven't fulfilled your resolutions in a while! Did I mention the word resolution yet?????

2. Keep them in check

Make a mental note at the end of each day about how well you've stuck to your resolutions. If you think about them every day, they will be on your mind. One of the hardest things about resolutions is that you can forget them, so keeping them on your mind and making sure you're doing them is ideal.

3. Realize that it takes time

There have been many studies on how long it takes to form a habit, and it seems like the general consensus is that it takes a MINIMUM of three weeks to form a habit. So, if you're struggling with your resolution, don't be frustrated that it doesn't easily become incorporated into your life. Just remember that one day it could become a habit for you. You need to be consistent with it for as long as it takes.

4. LISTEN TO YOURSELF

If you remind yourself about your resolution and then proceed to break it, you are not listening to yourself. You are making excuses and exceptions that could derail your resolution entirely. It's like having that scenario in movies with the angel and devil on your shoulders. Learn to listen to the angel. Listen to yourself.

If your resolution has something to do with health, make sure you are always keeping your health in mind, so do not be so strict on yourself that you cause your health to decline.

5. Write a reminder about your resolutions

Write on your mirror.

Stick a post it note on your bed so you see it every morning.

Make it your lock screen.

Print out your resolution on a piece of paper and hang it on a clothes hanger. Do this multiple times and place the hangers between the clothes in your closet. When you grab for your clothes, you'll see a reminder hidden behind them on the next hanger.